What are the deepest bass amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thaos627, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Thaos627

Thaos627

Jan 10, 2011
    Indiana
    Im trying to get some serious low end cut out the highs and mids. currently im using hartke and even with the eq set for nothing but bass it still has some high end to it. my cousin uses ampeg and it sounds like crap. Do all amp makers just make amps for pop n slap or is it just me?

Im thinking about using ashdown because of the "deep" button.

I like the Behringer sound including the ultrabass stuff but i need something more durable since we play on stages that remind me of the blues brother movie (stage with chicken wire around it to protect the band from beer bottles).

2. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    It's all about the twang and the clang.

If you can't find an amp that works for you, you could run a series of equalizers taking out more and more of the ranges you don't want.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Some have filtering set a little higher than others but it's mostly all still in the bass.

Deep or not deep is a big function of your cabs.

If you want all bass and no mids or highs you will never be heard....ever.

If you're going for "that Behringer sound"......well....I best just be nice and stop now.

4. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    old amps tend to have more of the deep sound you are after. modern amps cater to a more bright crowd - slappers....

try cabs with 15's
    try an old Acoustic 360 or the old ampeg 2-15 cab.

5. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Go try to find a folded horn style speaker cab like we old geezers used to use long ago. Those type of cabs have plenty of low end grunt and quake if that's your thing.

6. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    Kind of hard to find BUT, peavey used to make some 1 18 folded horn cabs that were like 1/2 of a W cabinet. They were designed to stack while using an F880B amplifier. I dont know the model designations but I used one back in the mid 80's with 1) an Ibanez Black Eagle 2) an Alembic Series 1, and 3) a Rick 4003. These cabs were serious low end.

7. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    Two fEarful 15/6 cabs + a low pass filter in the signal chain

or

Two fEarful 1x15 cabs without any mid-driver + a low pass filter in the signal chain.

or

Two BFM Jack 15 cabs + a low pass filter in the signal chain.

Amps? Use at least 1000W SS or hybrid

8. Thaos627

Thaos627

Jan 10, 2011
    Indiana
    LOL apparently you dont play much if its not open mic night cus nobody hears bass over a guitar or vocals besides I'd rather be felt than heard anyday cus NO OTHER INSTRUMENT CAN COMPETE WITH ME

9. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    An Eminence 3015LF can out-perform any vintage speaker for low frequency volume.

Many newer cabs can get brighter compared to the vintage cabs, but there are also better modern options for extending the lows.

10. Have you tried using something like a BBE sonic maximizer? I was just messing around with mine the other day and it can get some crazy deep sounds and it can get really crisp and punchy as well. Just for reference, the gear I used with it: Callowhill j(unk)5->sonic maximizer->Aguilar DB750->Accugroove El Whappo and Accugroove Tri210. I've heard a lot of people on these forums talk about how "dark" the El Whappo and Tri210 sound already, so I think that might have something to do with it as well. But man, what a deep rumble it was making!

11. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Barefaced makes a cab that low passes at 1K Hz for reggae.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Get a Titan
    Titan 48
    It will be load low and no mids or highs

I think you'll change your mind quickly about the mids and highs. So it's easy to add a top for it when you do.

And check out MaxxBass, Peavey promises to include it sometime in the DSP amps.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    :confused:

You need a better soundguy....or a guitar player that knows what a volume knob is. Every instrument is heard by everyone when done right. Go to a concert with a bad soundjob (plenty of those). When the bass is all lows and nothing else you can hardly even tell what notes the bassist is playing. You may notice the overall sound get a little thinner if he happens to stop playing midsong....maybe not even then if the kickdrum is booming around long enough to make it to the next downbeat. Ask any soundguy. You want to hear what the bass is playing you notch them in the midrange somewhere....can't do that with no mids.

14. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    These guys touched on it but what it comes down to is that if ALL you want are the deep lows you should use a rig that can pump them out and a low pass filter to cut out the mids and highs. Trying to EQ out mids and highs won't work. The frequency band for most amp controls isn't wide enough and you'll just end up with massive dips rather than cutting out mids and highs completely.

I've got a Streamliner 900 and 15/6 and when using an Iron Ether Xerograph to low pass the signal it's sub city.

And while that's my setup, the formula is pretty basic:

1. Head with enough wattage and deep bass
    2. Cabs that can pump out those lows
    3. Low pass filter to cut the mids and highs.

The nice thing about using a LPF pedal (the Moog low pass is another option besides the Iron Ether) is that you can immediately bring back the full signal if desired with a single stomp rather than having to re-EQ your entire amp.

That said, a big +1 to all of this:
    Unless you're doing dub or electronica (two genres I play and love) you'll want a more balanced tone. And even in those two genres the sub bass only works because there's room in the mix for the bass to be felt AND heard. Without hearing more about your band and what you're playing it seems to me that you've got an unbalanced mix going on.

15. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Just about everyone has a "deep" button. Do you want a bass rig or just bass frequencies? If all you want is that woofing, car-sub sound then you've got the wrong instrument. You need to look into keyboards and sampling. Other than that, stick to rack setups featuring some sort of pre-amp, a graphic EQ and a massive power amp and PA sub speakers.

16. [​IMG]

Seems like just the ticket.

700-HP : UltraHigh-Power Subwoofer

17. Acoustic 360 or a folded horn. You can go to Bill Fitzmaurice's site for some horn type speakers with some really impressive bass. I'm considering an Omni 15 full range anyway.

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
  19. stingraysvt

stingraysvt

Jun 20, 2011
    My Eden 410XLT's would go DEEEP! Much fatter than any bass rig I have now. Two of those things would just shell it out all night long, and the Eden Eq was really thick as well

20. Thaos627

Thaos627

Jan 10, 2011
    Indiana
    my band is a punk band (im also the soundman since ive had training from serious pros and worked as one for a few years). we do a ska type style but more punk (best reference to sound The Clash) i have a good sound for it but i want more of a drum and bass sound.

the mix is fine we found a perfect setting that fits us in all our songs so we ducttaped it all down. its setup for small and medium sized bars. i use flatwounds and they are awesome but my amp just doesnt cut it cus my rig always sounds "cheap" and i just want that record quality lows, ya kno?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021