Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are the Pro's using for Pickups

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Mashby_2, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Mashby_2

Mashby_2

Mar 30, 2005
    Fairfax VA
    I have an old 1981 Underwood Pizeo Pickup on my DB and ..Well It's time to upgrade.
    What are the professionals using to get the Acoustic bass out to the Amp? Someone recommended Fishmen Piezo Ceramic Bass Pick-up, but I think a Mic based transducer might be th eway to go. Anyone have any recommendations? :meh:

2. Some of us 'Pros' here at TBDB are not even responding to people that don't fill out a least a little of their Profile I'm not going that far yet, but it would be to your advantage to fill out your profile......at least where you reside. All the better to send you to a luthier in your area...as an example.
    Actually, the Underwood is one of the better pick-ups. At least in terms of jazz. I use one mainly because I play a big 5 string antique bass. With the extra 'spread' of the 5 strings, having the two transducers, one on each side of the bridge gives plenty sensitivity to handle all five strings. The Realist is one of the more popular pick-ups, in terms of re-creating the natural sound of your bass. Also it's good with the bow which is a big problem with most pick-ups including the Underwood.
    Just out, is the new Revolution "Solo" pick-up which is getting really good reviews.
    All the above PU's are good to go without a preamp.
    We just had a big poll on pick-ups, ...I think it's under AMP and Pick-ups.
    I just checked for you and it's under the Amps and pick-up's Forum heading.
    Good luck, fill out your profile, and welcome to TBDB!

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    What Paul said. Welcome to TB! This old thread might be of interest.

4. Mashby_2

Mashby_2

Mar 30, 2005
    Fairfax VA
    Sorry about that profile thing. I just joined yesterday. Where do you go to set up your profile? I could not fine it or MyBassTalk or other links

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just go to "My Talkbass", then go to "Control Panel". About halfway down, you'll find "Edit Profile".

6. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    A friend, who is a long-time pro, gets a wonderful sound using a Gage Realist pickup blended with an AMT S25B microphone. However I know that my friend has a lot more to do with the great sound that he gets than the gear he's using does.

I'll add another welcome to TalkBass. There is a wealth of information here in the archives about pickups and mics and many other bass-related things. Hope you enjoy.

-bob