What are your favorite strings and why

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by T.Rex, Oct 11, 2016.

1. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada
    I'm really interested in what strings most of you guys like and play with and why, I've been liking the 5 string Dr sunbeams nickel plated lately, might get a set of Dunlop superbright nickel plated soon Also if you guys have any suggestions of what I should try keep in mind I prefer nickel plated for soft feel on my fretting hand (im a pick user) and it's easier on my frets and but I'm open to any suggestions.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  2. ASQTec

ASQTec Above Average

May 2, 2010
    TI Flats (JF324) on a short scale is the closest I've come to perfection in nearly 40 years. I hated them on any Jazz or Precision I've owned.

Chromes for long scale all the way. The balance of tone and tension is just right for me.

If your fingers (and your frets) can handle it, Rotosound RS 66 rounds are the epitome of piano-like tone.

Roxbororob and physics like this.
  3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Labella Flats for life.

For rounds, lately I've been digging DR SS LoRiders but I'd sure love to try the nickel version... I just can't seem to find it anywhere locally.

DR strings are closer wound than other rounds, so maybe their SS strings would be alright for your fingers? If not, there's still a ton of great reviews for their nickel ones. Another string that I used recently is the Warwick Red label Nickel strings. They're surprisingly good strings and can be had for pretty darn cheap!

DrColossus68 and pudgychef like this.
  4. D'Addario strings. Roundwound and either Prosteels or Flex Steels. They sound great, are long lasting and are competitively priced.

Sixgunn likes this.
  5. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I've gravitated towards flats and the Chromes are my favorite so far. I've got a new set of TI flats I'll try shortly.

physics and RedJag like this.
  6. joker820

joker820 Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Check out the DR Pure Blues. I've got a set on my P and they're exactly what I was looking for.

twinjet and jassthebass like this.
  7. T.Rex

T.Rex

Sep 19, 2015
    Canada

Can you describe how the pure blues feel on your fretting hand and how they sound? I've been working about them for awhile, also someone said they don't have much mids

8. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Stainless steel Elixirs, 'cause I like the bright sound of new rounds and they stay bright for frickin' ages.

That makes 'em good for my wallet and I only have to change strings once every year to year and a half instead of every month.

Ric_ Ardo likes this.
  9. joker820

joker820 Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2014
    They're soft on the hand. Not sure why someone would say they lack mids. They sound like rounds to me but without the pick sound I didn't like from steels. You can get a pretty good deal on them from bassstringsonline if you register as a TB member.

10. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    Still love my Sunbeams. I've branched out and tried a few others since I first found them, but I keep coming back to the Sunbeams. The smooth and supple feel helps my speed and articulation, and the tone is the perfect blend of warmth with just enough punch. I do like the Super Brights B and C string, though.

Al Kraft and Eikari like this.
  11. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Texas
    Really depends on the bass/pickups. First, I like flats. Second, I play TI, D'addario, and La Bella.

12. Dr ddt, they just sound and feel amazing.

I like chromes as well

13. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    Sadowsky Black Label Flats.

Silky smooth, low noise, nice fat tone

14. IanA

IanA

Jul 31, 2011
    Leicester UK
    Labella flats, because they are silky smooth and have da thump!

armybass likes this.
  15. I used to think RS66s were the epitome of pianolike tone.
    Then I tried Kaliums.
    SS or nickel.

For flats, I use LaBellas.

16. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    For an affordable all around flat I like the Fender flats
    For Rays I had a real thing for Roto 77s...just can't get them here..

For rounds I always liked Sunbeams...but wanted a heavier gauge...they seem to have them now via BSO..must try 'em

On (BSO)/Jason's(@SLaPiNFuNK ) suggestion, I tried the Fodera rounds...they were terrific...haven't played them in a couple years..I would guess they are still the same.

17. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

Currently using Round Wounds not my favorite, yet I understand there attraction. Tried flats once the ones with the lion on the package they took a month to settle down. Soon going back to Tape Wounds probably Labella's, probably not Fenders.

18. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Dunlop Super Brights. They're cheap and the lack of tension lets me freakin fly.

Sixgunn likes this.
  19. Pandastylebass

Pandastylebass The Moon Machine

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    As of lately
    Flats: TI with a close second being La Bella's: Great tone and the sound I want for recording
    Rounds: DR Sunbeams: smooth feel, great tone and perfect tension for me

P-oddz likes this.
  20. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I can't hear the very subtle differences, so I'll quote Paul McCartney:

long shiny ones