Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHAT ARPEGGIOS ARE MOST USED???

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Baloo, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    HI, WHAT´S COOKING? :)

BESIDES MAYOR, MINOR DISMINISHED AND 7TH ARPEGGIOS (OR CHORDS), WHAT ARE THE MOST COMMONS ARPEGGIOS?
    I MEAN FOR A BEGGINER DUDE LIKE ME....

ON MYSELF METHOD I WORKING WITH MAYOR, MINOR DISMINISHED AND 7TH ARPEGGIOS OF G SCALE (IT HELPS ME ON MODES)...

I CONSIDER WORK ON WHOLE G SCALE IS WORK WITH A COMPLICATED ARPEGGIO (G13)..

I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND MY ENGLISH..

2. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    ...........SOMEONE SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE

BESIDES MAJORS,MINORS DISMINISHEDS AND 7TH'S, WHAT ARE MOST USED CHORDS?

3. Beauville

Beauville

Jan 6, 2004
    MAYBE YOU SHOULD HIT YOUR CAPS LOCK BEFORE TRYING TO ASK A SERIOUS QUESTION.

:rolleyes:

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well, how about the major sixth, minor sixth and seventh sharp fifth chords?

Then move on to the seventh, flat fifth, the minor major seventh, the minor seven, flat five (half diminished) and the seventh sus 4th.

Here are the formulas:

Major sixth: Root, 3rd, 5th, 6th
    Minor sixth: Root, flat 3rd, 5th, 6th
    Seventh sharp fifth: Root, 3rd, sharp 5th, flat 7th

Seventh flat fifth: Root, 3rd, flat5th, flat 7th
    Minor majot seventh: Root, flat3rd,fifth, major 7th
    Minor seven flat fifth: Root, flat 3rd, flat 5th, flat 7th
    Seventh suspended fourth: Root, 4th, 5th, flat 7th

There are many other chords, such as ninth chords, eleventh chords and thirteenth chords, however the above chords should expand your chord vocabulary nicely for a beginner.

5. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
    BE COOL

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Also, don't forget the indomitable dominant chord, seen A LOT in Jazz harmony.

It's spelled 1-3-5-b7

7. is that tAb?? :D

cool, thx for the posts above! :)

8. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    THAT IS ON 7TH'S FAMILY.
    I am focused on modes.
    On G scale I practice all 7th´s arpeggios and I find D dominant 7

Pretty woman sounds like D dominant 7.

Too slowly but I learning something every day. :)

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Baloo, here's something you may or may not know. All those chords you are working on, can be inverted. In other words, a C major chord is typically played as root, third, fifth.

But you can change the order of those intervals. in a "first inversion", the third is on the bottom--third, fifth, root. In the "second inversion", the fifth is on the bottom. So you play fifth, root, third.

If you have extended chords such as seventh chords, you can put the seventh on the bottom.

Changing the order of the notes in a chord changes the sound and is fun to experiment with.

10. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    Yeah, I'm working on it now, but i'm doing it with 7th, i mean all 7th chords on G major scale.

I also was doing inversions on 6th chords, now I discovered that E minor7 and G major6 are formed by the same notes (I mean E, G, B, D). It's the same thing with other chords of the same scale ( F# disminished7 and A minor6, G major7 and B minor6, etc....), but I'm feeling a little confuced with this surprise.
    :)

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

yeah isn't theory awesome! :D

12. Baloo

Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    You're right....

Every day is an oportunity to learn something new, and it's better on music.