1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what bass amp to buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by daveym, Feb 23, 2013.

1. daveym

daveym

Apr 28, 2008
    what do you guys reckon.line 6 or ampeg?

2. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    Is this a legit question? If you can afford nicer stuff, avoid line 6. If you just need something to get started it want a ton of mediocre effects built in then line 6 is alright.

3. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    The first part of my last comment sounded a little douchy, it definitely wasnt meant to, I've just seen a lot of posts like that (not so much on TB) an its usually a troll post trying to start a crazy flame war.

4. johnnybumfights

johnnybumfights

Feb 2, 2010
    Get a used ampeg

5. redhed

redhed

Oct 25, 2009
    Ampeg

6. daveym

daveym

Apr 28, 2008
    deffo not a troll question bassman mike.just started playing in a covers band,need bass amp.i also play guitar so have a vox ac30 and HD 500 effects board.i have bass going through that into PA at moment.looking at the ampeg svt series 4 x 10 cab with head 700 watts although we are only playing small,medium sized pubs,seeing what the bass players recommend

7. BassManMike73

BassManMike73

Apr 20, 2011
    Portage, MI
    I'm personally a HUGE fan of Gallien Krueger stuff, especially the neo series cabs and the 1001rb-II head. Add a sansamp in front of it and you're golden. I owned a real svt for a while and while it sounded great, I still found myself loving the GK sound.

8. pilsberry888

pilsberry888

Jan 6, 2010
    check out avatar cabs

9. I mean no offense, but this is almost like asking what people like on their pizza. You're going to get a LOT of different answers. Of the two that you listed, Ampeg will be a huge frontrunner.... kinda like pepperoni vs. anchovi.

10. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    If you HAVE TO be a "tone chameleon" because of the covers band, get a Line 6 HD 500 or BassPODXTLive(or other bass modeling box) and run it into the Ampeg. I use Line 6 stuff but NOT their bass amps(overpriced and cheaply made). Line 6 treats bassists as 2nd class or an after thought because "our market" is so much smaller than guitarists.

The Behringer V-Amp pro with their pedal and modified/aftermarket chip does fairly amazing also.

PS: I use the BassPODXTLive going on 6 years and have avoided the upgrade to HD because our guitarist's HD500 was in the shop 3 or 4 times(cheap switches, software and firmware lockups/failures) during the 1st 6 months he had it. They seem to have stabilized his HD now.