WHAT BASS I SHOULD GET

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryo_s_17, Jul 11, 2020.

1. ryo_s_17

ryo_s_17

Jul 11, 2020
    I am a high school jazz guitarist and I do a lot of covers and one-man bands. I am planning to buy an electric bass so I can play them on my music covers.

I like the sound of Jaco so I prefer the jazz bass over p bass.

My budget is under 150$. I don't care if the bass is new or used. Any suggestion on which bass I should buy on which website? It will be GREAT if you guys can help me!!

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  2. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Welcome to Talkbass,

You're going to get way more help than you can handle.
    You say you're a guitarist but sounds like you're looking for a long scale bass.

If so, I have a Squire Affinity that has served me well, enough to mod the crap outta it.
    Some here have had bad luck with Affinity and I have no reason to doubt them, but I haven't.
    Maybe because I generally don't buy on-line.

If you're looking for a short scale try a Bronco.

Have you tried Craigslist?
    Have you tried Talkbass classified?

I've also heard good things about Glarry and SX but I'm never had one.

bassdude51 and alanloomis1980 like this.
  3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    First, welcome to TalkBass!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid your budget is just not realistic. The quality of "inexpensive" basses has increased dramatically in recent years, but "inexpensive" is still considerably more than $150. You can get a lot more bang-for-your-buck by buying used, but unless you can buy locally the shipping cost alone is likely to be at least half of your budget. Plus, you'll need a bass amp: Have you figured that into your plan?

MynameisMe likes this.
  4. ryo_s_17

ryo_s_17

Jul 11, 2020
    I have an audio interface and I am planning to record the bass directly into the daw. I have bass amp sims so I think the recording and practicing part is ok. What is a reasonable price for an "inexpensive" bass?

Lobster11 likes this.
  5. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    You can check out guitar center's used section on their website. They have some Squier Jazz basses for around $150 and you can always return it.

Bassdirty likes this.
  6. ryo_s_17

ryo_s_17

Jul 11, 2020
    Is it free shipping? and do u get the full refund when you return the bass?

7. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I disagree, I've bought 5 basses for under $150.
    There are 5 on my CL right now $150 and under.

upload_2020-7-11_15-59-0.png

upload_2020-7-11_15-57-41.png

8. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    In that price range, there is NO contest. Ibanez GSR PJ. I don’t remember exactly what the model number is, just look for the Cheap Ibanez PJ. Even so, you’ll need to find a used one but they are VERY common at pawn shops, even in smallish towns

I would not bother with any other babies under $200... Hell I would not suggest any other base under $300 compared to this one. I think they are genuinely great instruments, the neck is slim and easy to play, they really sound better than thru have any right to, and the biggest drawback is the cheaper hardware etc, but your budget is what it is.

I would not buy any other bass in that price range.. I would ABSOLUTELY not suggest anything cheaper- you may some very cheap Basses For like $100 at pawn shops that look similar to the Ibanez in that range; they are GARBAGE, you should wait for a good deal or sell some lemonade.

I would also absolutely not suggest a Squier. I LOVE a diamond in the rough, dark horse, secret weapon magically amazing Mexican Fender, as some of them are simply unbelievably good instruments. This magic RARELY extends down to squiers, and the QC and parts for these are just awful.

These are my thoughts, I’ll happily defend them, and I will close by reemphasizing that the GSR whatever Ibanez aren’t just ‘not bad, and pretty cheap,’ I genuinely think they punch above their weight class, such that, while owning a Roscoe and a few other nice Basses, I have repurchased a GSR just to own one again (it was my first instrument), bought 2 others to use the necks for projects where I built or modded a body, and also bought a MIKRO 5’er, which is very much the same instrument at an insanely short 28” scale for another project.

The only downside is that they look quite plain.. either let your music speak for you, or get creative and paint it or something..
    i’ve run across a few threads with guys refinishing these Basses, because they’re nice enough to keep around

Edit 1: it’s an Ibanez GSR 200.. $200 new, as low as $99 used.

edit 2: regarding jaco: with this as my only bass in middle and high school, LEARNED how to play bass from-and-because-of Jaco and Vic Wooten. This bass VERY much does a good burpy bridge-only Jazz bass sound.. i’ve actually done some study and wrote many comments about how this family of Ibanez Basses has perhaps the best sounding pickup placement of any PJ Basses I’ve heard, excluding the requirement of a 10000% authentic Pbass placement (it still does ok there, though)

have I sung its praises enough?

9. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Jesus Christ did I really just write all that for a thread about a cheap starter bass? I really like those Ibanez GSR’s lol

Frunobulax, Bassdirty, DTRN and 6 others like this.
  10. I also suggest that you search used basses online at Guitar Center, and used on eBay also. In your price range, you can get a better bass for that amount of money used, than you will new.

11. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    A Jazz bass is a safe bet anyway, and if you already know you like the tone, it’s a slam dunk.

I wouldn’t be totally afraid of the Affinity line- IF you can try them in person. As a guitarist you should be able to verify it’s not a lemon. My main bass is made up of a few affinity parts (body and pickup) and I’ve played a few Affinity jazz basses that rival the Mexican fenders

As far as the “nicer” squiers- Vintage Modified (discontinued) and Classic Vibe (Made in China- discontinued; Made in Indonesia- current) are the most common. You might see a “Standard” or “Fender Squier Series.” Basically if they print “Jazz Bass” (instead of “J bass”) on the headstock, it’s a better squier. I’d expect to pay $150-300 used.

Also, don’t discount non-Fenders. SX, Peavey, and Dean make decent Jazz-clones.

Good luck!

Mr Cheese likes this.
  12. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    No they charge for shipping. You do get a full refund though. Maybe craigslist would be the best option.

13. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    IMO, your best bet is to look on Craigs List for a Squier, Ibanez or Yamaha. Your an experienced guitarist, so you know enough to avoid a bass with a bad neck, tuners, electronics, etc. I wouldn't be afraid to look at other brands like SX or some of the no-names. A passive bass is not rocket science. They either play and sound good or they don't. As long as you can check them out, make your own judgement on them.

lark_z, Mr Cheese and Skeeter Diggs like this.
  14. underwhelmist

underwhelmist

Nov 16, 2018
    UK
    I've no experience of Squier Affinity, but I have a Squier VM jazz and it's great. I would also echo the recommendation for Ibanez GSRs, we have a GSR180 (Jazz pickup configuration, passive) in the house, it was cheap SH and it's really nice to play.

15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    You might have to double that budget for a new inexpensive budget model bass. Yamaha makes great budget model basses.

Check out the BB234, TRBX174 and TBRX304 models. You might be able to find one used within your budget, especially the TRBX174 or a similar model (maybe a little older).

I have a BB235 and it is good value for the money.

16. If you like Jazz basses, you should consider buying a Harley Benton JB-20. It is a Jazz Bass I got for £96 (which would work out at approximately 121 USD), from Thomann. For the price, you may be like "it's pretty cheap so im not sure if it will be good quility wise". But trust me, for the price, they are good. It has two single coil J bass pickups, a volume control knob for each pickup and a master tone knob. It is a really simple bass for a first bass and you should consider it for your budget.

Thanks for reading, Daniel

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Bleecker and Guild B301 like this.
  17. Earlier I suggested that you get a used bass. But, if you search TalkBass, you will find that there are many, many people who use a Glarry bass. It’s probably the cheapest new bass you can find, but a lot of people seem to love them. There is even a Glarry club on TB. I suggest you read their comments. They make a Jazz Bass style. Usually $99 new.

Danny E likes this.
  18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    For $150, you are rolling the dice hoping the used instrument you get isn't a total turd. For $300, you might find a Squier VM Jazz. Check the classified here.

19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Under $150? Craigslist trash missing hardware.

Bassdirty likes this.
  20. 5andFretless

5andFretless Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Long Island Ny
    Glarry

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021