1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bass is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by distantsun, Jan 15, 2017.

1. distantsun

distantsun

Jan 15, 2017
    Hello all,

I am completely new to the world of bass playing, and was thinking of diving in by looking at the basses played by my favorite band members. I was wondering what bass Nick Seymour is playing in this video (you get a pretty good look at it around 2:00). I really really like the tone of the bass here, granted it's not the best setup (he's playing the same bass here in a more conventional setup). I think it might be a Gibson, but I'm not sure? Obviously, I won't be able to afford the same bass, but could you please tell me what features I should be looking for in other basses that are similar to his? Thanks!

2. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    Spector with a P/J configuration.
    Don't know your budget but the Legend series is modestly priced. Euro series is more expensive, and the USA series even more so.

3. Welcome to TalkBass!
    Here's a link to an old thread about this =D, Hope it helps. His recent photos show him with a Fender J

Nick seymour's bass?

4. tato62

tato62

Mar 3, 2014
    Montreal Can.
    spector

distantsun likes this.
  5. distantsun

distantsun

Jan 15, 2017
    Stupid question - what is a P/J configuration? :unsure:
    I will look into that, thanks - how would you say those stack up against a Fender Precision or Jazz bass?

6. distantsun

distantsun

Jan 15, 2017
    Thank you! I had a look at that thread earlier but for some reason had it in my head that he was playing a Gibson. He's one of my favorite bassists and a lovely person, to boot. :) I've only been into Crowded House for a few months, but those few months have been enough to spur me on to take up the bass!

7. FantasticFour

FantasticFour

Dec 14, 2013
    Europeland
    Not a stupid question at all!
    What it means is there's one precision-style pickup
    0973b8b3-0d13-4ed7-bbb1-8da45a4fec15.
    and one jazz bass style pickup
    lollar-jazz-bass-style-pickup-0.
    on the same bass.
    Very popular and efficient configuration.

southgabass likes this.
  8. Unless the person is a P or J purist, most tend to like the P/J configuration to get the "best of both worlds there".

distantsun likes this.
  9. distantsun

distantsun

Jan 15, 2017
    I see! I presume that's done manually? If so, how? Do you think I could get the people at Guitar Center to do it for me when I buy my bass?

Talking about buying the bass - I have been looking into a few 4 string models that are among the cheapest on the market. I don't want to spend lots of money on a bass I never end up playing, you know? I was looking at the Ibanez GSRM20 and the Squier Affinity Precision Bass. I haven't had the chance to try out the Squier, since they didn't have them at the Guitar Center shop near me. I did pick up a Fender Jaguar bass there and the difference in tone was amazing compared to the Ibanez - but then again, so was the pricetag! There was a $1000 difference! Goodness!

I figured out that Nick Seymour plays a Spector Euro 5x and it sells for $2200. As a broke college student, I don't think I'll be getting that unless I win the lottery sometime soon. Ah, well. Sorry for all the questions, by the way! Maybe I should make a new thread!

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

It's your thread. Please, feel free to ask away. You can direct the conversation as you like…within the realms of good taste, that is. :angel: :D

If you're interested in a P/J configuration, there are a ton of options. One example that fits into the "thrifty college student" is a Squier Affinity Precision PJ. There's also a Squier Vintage Modified PJ, but it's slightly more expensive. How much more expensive is, of course, all relative.

As a big fan of P/J's (my first two basses were P/J's :thumbsup:), I would respectfully disagree with classifying them as a "best of both worlds" bass. As I see it, they occupy a space in-between a Precision and a Jazz. That is to say, you get the deep "thump" of a Precision pickup, but by adding in more of the Jazz pup, you can add a little bit of "growl/sizzle" to your sound. The only way you'll get an authentic Jazz sound is if you prefer to run the J's bridge pickup solo, but even that is a matter of debate 'round these parts.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!

It's your thread. Take it wherever you want to. Maybe if you start talking about Sox vs Yankees we need to take this to the "Off Topic" section. But as long as you are a beginner asking beginner bass questions right here will do fine.

Roughly where are you? You said you are near a GC, so I'm assuming United States. But if you narrow it down just a little was may be able to help you find a great deal on a used bass in your area. If you are uncomfortable with that kind of thing around Internet strangers I completely understand. If you'll notice my profile simply says Eastern NC, which would give us a region to work with but not tell all of my business. :D

12. distantsun

distantsun

Jan 15, 2017
    Thanks for that recommendation! I looked and apparently Guitar Center is selling them for around the same price as the Ibanez. I think I'll go into the store near me later this week and see if they have one I can test out.

Of course, that brings me to the matter of amps. I have... no idea where to start, and I don't want to spend too much money (rephrase - I don't have too much money.)

13. distantsun

distantsun

Jan 15, 2017
    Thank you! I don't mind saying I live in Jacksonville (which is really awful and boring and all the fun stuff happens in Orlando and Miami.) I had a look on Craigslist and the only basses for sale were Ibanezes, and I think I prefer the sound of Fenders/Squiers.

14. distantsun

distantsun

Jan 15, 2017
    I was looking at amps - any opinions on a Fender Rumble 15? Is there anything better in that price range that I should look for instead?

15. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Since I don't gig with other musicians, I can't help you there. However, if you're in a "gotta keep it quiet and not annoy the roommate/parents" situation like me, there is a perfectly fine headphone amp I've been using for years. It's great if you travel far and wide (also like me) and you can play along with tunes you dig on a laptop, mp3 player or smartphone with a simple 1/8th"-to-1/8th" audio cable (get a six-footer…trust me on this :oops:).

According to the website, they carry them at both your local Guitar Centers.

C Tech Pocket Rock-It S1b Standard Bass Headphone Amp