1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

What Bass should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robert Browne, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Robert Browne

Robert Browne

Nov 9, 2020
    I'm in the process of buying my "First" Bass even though i've been playing for more then 10 years. Time for the greatest lending gift to be upgraded.

I predominantly play in a Pentecostal church which always plays a mix of Rock, Contemporary Worship & Gospel. I want to get a 5 String & I like the idea of have dual hum bucker pickups (1 at Bridge & 1 at Neck)

Budget not really an issue but don't have loads of ££££'s

Any pointers in which route I should go down?
    I like the look of MusicMan Stingray & P Basses.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

TIA

telecopy likes this.
  2. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Tell us what you've played and liked. What did you like about them, for example I have a preference to having an narrow nut, but neck thickness doesn't really bother me. Some people don't like a gloss finish on the neck some don't care. Weight can also be contentious, do you have any weight requirements? Although looks aren't technically important, nobody really buys a bass they don't like the look of. Do you want something fender esque or more unique?

For dual humbucker 5 string, my mind instantly goes to Ibanez. They usually have decent electronics that will help you adapt to a wider variety of music types.

Having said all that, the reality is that there are lots of basses that will make you very happy. Keep an eye out in your local classifieds and see if something pops up used. Being used when you don't know exactly what you want because you can also resell for about the same price you paid.

BertnErnie and jonnybass1 like this.
  3. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Get a black one.

NathanDetroit, KyleC, J_Bass and 12 others like this.
  4. Robert Browne

Robert Browne

Nov 9, 2020
    All i've played with is Fenders. I'm also based in the UK so the options of going to look at one at the moment is quite low & best places seem to be in London or just outside. My vibe is I love the funky Gospel sound. No Weight requirements as of yet.
    Im very flexible with the electronics side. I don't like the way Fender coils look. But want the sound more then the look, plus i like the way a musicman looks

5. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Two basses kind of come to mind. A G&L L2500 or a Lakland 55-02 would be very versatile basses to try. I'm not sure of the availability where you are at but both are great instruments and not overly expensive.

Bones

6. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    I think the easiest way to hit the funky Gospel sound is Fender Jazz with some stainless steel strings.

I would definitely recommend getting a bass with a pickup close to the bridge. Being in the UK, I would opt for something built locally, you have lots of great builders without having to pay a "made in the USA" premium. Companies that come to mind are:

Relatively Budget Friendly
    Warwick (Germany)
    Spector Euro (Czech Republic)
    Sandberg (Germany)
    Sadowsky MetroExpress Line (Not sure where they're made but Warwick is doing the European distribution)

Ultra Premium/Bespoke
    Wal (UK)
    Mayones (Poland)
    Ritter (UK)

Those are all pretty expensive new, but you can find some good deals on used warwicks or a spector euro.

TrevorR likes this.
  7. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    I use Warwick Corvette and Ibanez SR basses at my church. And both types have an array of tones so you will always sound good in the mix. I am playing similar songs that you describe. Ibanez have an amazing range of prices from inexpensive to several thousand dollars.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Search no further.
    G&L Tribute L2500.

20201109-184947.jpg

9. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Lakland 5502. No question. Gets you the jazz sound, mm in bridge if needed, and if you solo the neck with some adjustments in the mid and bass, you get a convincing p bass. It's all the things. This is what you want.

10. MuttThud

MuttThud

Aug 31, 2017
    UK
    Whereabouts in the UK? If there was any way you could manage a day trip to the Bass Gallery in London (The Bass Gallery | London) or the bass room at Andertons in Guildford if you’re south of London, you will get great advice from experienced players (the staff know their stuff) and a whole bunch of basses to try. Not feasible at the moment under lockdown I know (and even outside lockdowns you would need to book a session in advance) but by far the best way to explore options and find something that works for you (and both of those shops have secondhand gear as well as new). Could be a lot easier than trying various basses through mail order and organising returns etc.

TrevorR likes this.
  11. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    EBMM (Stingray, Bongo...) and G&L both make really great double bucker basses in 5 string. They have some similarities but also some differences. You owe it to yourself to try them. They also both have pretty traditional appearance and colors if that matters.

Riff Ranger likes this.
  12. asparaguspee

asparaguspee

Sep 10, 2020
    Australia
    Ibanez SR505. I have the 4 string version and it's a sweet sweet bass. Great for heavy stuff too if you ever feel like busting out a Meshuggah solo at church.

4dog, Benj-jammin and Riff Ranger like this.
  13. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Another vote for the G&L 2500. Versatile and comfortable. My second choice would be a EBMM HH...

14. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Yamaha TRBX505 is a nice instrument for not a lot of money. give it a look...

15. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Yamaha BB.

16. Been playing Stingrays since 2000 and never going back to a P. They aren't bad. I just like a 'Ray 4H that much better, and I've owned/own a pre EB Stingray 4, an EBMM Stingray 4 2 band EQ, and an EBMM Stingray 4 3 band EQ. You cannot go wrong. All winners.

17. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    If you like the look of the StingRay, the idea of having 2 Humbuckers and budget is not an issue, get an StingRay V HH. The G&L 2500 is a great option too.

StingRay V HH.jpg G&L 2500.jpg

18. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Save money on strings.
    Get a tuba

1uca5x and JoshS like this.
  19. Kubicki Fan

Kubicki Fan

Oct 3, 2014
    Canada
    J_Bass and Robert Browne like this.
  20. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Good suggestions here, particularly the Lakland 55-02 (you might like the 55-01 also) and the G&Ls. From personal experience, I can suggest that an Ibanez ATK might also fit the bill. Most have a single (but highly versatile) triple coil pickup in roughly the MM position, but some also have a J in the neck. Versatile 3-band preamp, string through or not bridge, substantial but not chunky neck. Heavy, though. You’d have to go used at the moment, but they’re not too hard to find.
    14E5E628-3359-4356-AEF1-83B99E4A14FB.jpeg
    I’ve had the 5-string (ATK-305) for a quarter century. Got the matching 4 (ATK-300) more recently for 250 USD with a hard case. As is typical for Ibanez, budget models have lower numbers, premium models have higher; prices reflect this, but even the priciest ATKs are bargains compared to Stingrays.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Bassdirty likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021