What basses do you bring on tour.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RRWesner, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Fender Jazz- extra stylistic possibilities

80.0%
  2. Ibanez- trusty all round bass

20.0%
  1. RRWesner

RRWesner

Jan 10, 2010
    I'm heading out for a seven month contract on a cruise ship where I have to play a ton of different styles of music and I am trying to decide which basses to bring with me. I only have two spaces in my case and I am trying to decide if I want to bring essentially a second version of my main bass or if I should bring a bass that covers more styles. I have a skjold 5 string active bass that I love and is my go to instrument which I am bring for sure. (if you have any unrelated questions about this bass I would be more than happy to answer them. Pete Skjold makes exceptional instruments and I will talk your ear off about them given the chance) My second bass will be a choice between an ibanez premier with upgraded electronics or my good old fender jazz.

The Ibanez is kind of like a lower tier version of my skjold. It's a relatively versatile, modern active bass. I would strictly be using it in case something happens to my main bass though. So if my bass holds up and I don't have any issues I will likely never play it. However, being on a ship if something does break I will be in a tight spot without my main workhorse.

The fender also has upgraded electronics and sounds great but it doesn't nail the modern musical theater stuff as well and I find it much less comfortable to play. But it would give me access to some more specific sounds if we do any motown or soul shows. My skjold can do everything well, but it doesn't quite have that same vibe as a jazz for the motown and soul type of stuff, especially with flatwounds and vintage pickups.

I've done many contracts before with only my main bass but I just purchased a dual case so that I could bring a backup. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Also, if you guys have any questions about ship life or becoming a cruise ship musician I message me and I'd be more than happy to chat with you about it.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I would take the Jazz and the Ibby and leave the Skjold at home because of what salt air can do to instruments.

Turxile, Nashrakh, skwee and 9 others like this.
  3. Bring a soldering iron kit and some spare pots and wiring, spare batteries. You never know if you will have issues with both. At least get everything checked out before going. Stuff happens. 7 monthes is a long time.

BOOG and MattZilla like this.
  4. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    I just put together my "set-up bag" so I didn't have to break out my tool box whenever I want to tweak or set up my instruments. You may want to put together something like this, and like mentioned above, add a soldering iron. I have my soldering iron station in a separate little tool box, but could put it in this case in a pinch and ditch the stand.

4D6Quk2.jpg

GL8Dcgk.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  5. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    If it were me, Id leave the Skjold at home in care of someone you implicitly trust and take the Ibanez and perhaps buy another Ibanez to take with you....a lot can go wrong on the road (even if the road is water)...I would never take anything I truly valued...just my $.02

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Based on my experience doing cruise ship gigs, you absolutely want an instrument that does “generic/anonymous/boring/cliched bass guitar” in your arsenal. The whole “modern musical theater” thing is fine *if* the only thing you’re doing are the production shows. But as soon as you need to back up the guest singer — or the magician, or the comedian, or the Cruise Director who wishes he/she was an entertainer — you’ll need a “normal” [sic] bass...like a Fender.

7. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    more important is getting used to the tiny berth (that sleeps two) at the bottom of the boat in which farts and armpits like to linger .........and getting used to the "bong bong bong bong" of the engine (which will eventually put you to sleep) :D

Microbass likes this.
  8. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Good point. If you (OP) would be crushed if the Fender didnt make it back, get an MIM or squier CV, and take the Ibanez as well, cause I agree....

9. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    exactly my first thought.

RR, if you've already salted that poor Skjold up, I dunno. At the end of the day it is a worktool anyways.

I'd like to think that I'd just take a pair of used MIM Jazzes and the above mentioned repair kit, but, without listing examples of the many silly things I do, I know for a fact that I'd be very likely to use this situation to justify obtaining a second Skjold and just bring both Skjolds.

JimmyM and somebrains like this.
  10. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I got the impression the OP is already a seasoned cruise ship player.
    The Skjold and the Jazz.

Novarocker, RRWesner and hennessybass like this.
  11. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    A stunning example of a bassists toolkit! What's the stopwatch for, timing your setup speed? ;)

MattZilla, Templar and Basehead like this.
  12. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    It's a nut slotting gauge. See here: Nut Slotting Gauge | stewmac.com

JcR6Ieh.jpg

13. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Oddly, mikewalker and Yammybass like this.
  14. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    I can do it by feel now, but when I started doing my own setups I measured everything. Also allows for consistency.

MynameisMe and alanloomis1980 like this.
  15. I’d take the jazz. And I’m saying that as someone who has a jazz bass as my backup. 3DBF6C37-36D1-4F9F-9516-D6D2579C2873.jpeg

16. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Bring the fender jazz ( pretty much sets the tone for bass in general )
    Ibby in case it breaks

17. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    When I go on tour I bring my Lakland skyline and my music man sterling HS
    For those who may be interested

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    1. I wouldn't bring your expensive bass. You want something bulletproof.
    2. Assuming you disregard #1, all the more reason to bring something bulletproof. The jazz - simple, passive, easy to find strings and parts if necessary.

19. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Bayou City
    I'd take the jazz. Like you said, it's a nice change up.

RRWesner likes this.
  20. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Typical TalkBass. The OP asks for opinions on a specific question, and instead he winds up getting a good Skjolding.

:bag:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021