What brand mic you using to mic your cab?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Mar 5, 2010.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    And how do you like it/how does it sound?

2. AKG D112. Obviously, I like the sound or I wouldn't use it.

3. Hi.

Either AKG D12 or Sennheiser MD421.

Regards
    Sam

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Sennheiser MD421 as well...but I'd like a try out a D112 one of these days. Maybe the next time we do some recording I'll pick one up.

5. 57+DI occasionally a RE-20

I like the meat to come from the DI and the "character" to come from the 57 so I don't care about low end from the mic.

6. burl0029

burl0029 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    I used a GLS Audio ES-57 (Shure SM-57 copy) and a DI from my amp. The two together sounded amazing. My old band recorded a couple tracks using those things and they worked really well. Plus, they're really cheap.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    Shure sm 57 or an xlr out.

8. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    MD421 / RE20

9. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    For you guys running both mic and DI, do you run into 2 channels on the board and then mix to preference?

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I run both Mic and DI. Separate board channels. Mix channel levels to preference depending on room.

Currently I'm actually using a Samson Q-kick mic on my cabinets. Pleasantly surprised by how it's doing and sounding.

11. 421.

12. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    MD421

13. cad e-100. it's a full range mic so it doesn't loose any mids like a kick mic does. also nice on guitar cabs and kick drum.

14. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    Shure SM57

15. Hi.

If You're able to get a D12 instead, try that also, makes a world of difference.

Regards
    Sam

16. [​IMG]

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    not a kick mic fan. i use a heil pr 40 because it sounds a lot like an re 20 but with more bottom. and i love a di + 58 rig as well if you want to mic a cab on the cheap.

18. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    beyer m88
    shure ksm 27
    shure sm57/ 58/ beta 57a/ beta 58
    sennheiser 602/ 609
    these are the ones i've used in the last 6 months,
    i'm sure i'll use more in the next 6.
    sometimes with di, sometimes without.
    sometimes 2 mics.
    it all really depends on the need, they can all sound great or bad depending on the circumstance/ placement....
    that said, the
    m88 is almost always good, and i love a regular 57 mixed with a di
    for a cutting tone.

19. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    That chart does not show the bass boost you get from the proximity effect of close-micing a bass cab with an SM57.

I have heard and used a 57 by itself on bass cabs, and they sounded very good.

20. Yeah, I was looking for that proximity graph, I thought Shure used to have it on their site. IIR close proximity doesn’t get better extension; it just boosts response in the roll-out region (~100-200 Hz). When running sound, I’ve never been impressed with using a 57 on bass. Sounds just like it measures – all midbass, no low end.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021