What brand mic you using to mic your cab?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Mar 5, 2010.

1. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    And how do you like it/how does it sound?

2. AKG D112. Obviously, I like the sound or I wouldn't use it.

3. Hi.

Either AKG D12 or Sennheiser MD421.

Regards
    Sam

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Sennheiser MD421 as well...but I'd like a try out a D112 one of these days. Maybe the next time we do some recording I'll pick one up.

5. 57+DI occasionally a RE-20

I like the meat to come from the DI and the "character" to come from the 57 so I don't care about low end from the mic.

6. burl0029

burl0029 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    I used a GLS Audio ES-57 (Shure SM-57 copy) and a DI from my amp. The two together sounded amazing. My old band recorded a couple tracks using those things and they worked really well. Plus, they're really cheap.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Shure sm 57 or an xlr out.

8. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    MD421 / RE20

9. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    For you guys running both mic and DI, do you run into 2 channels on the board and then mix to preference?

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I run both Mic and DI. Separate board channels. Mix channel levels to preference depending on room.

Currently I'm actually using a Samson Q-kick mic on my cabinets. Pleasantly surprised by how it's doing and sounding.

11. 421.

12. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    MD421

13. cad e-100. it's a full range mic so it doesn't loose any mids like a kick mic does. also nice on guitar cabs and kick drum.

14. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    Shure SM57

15. Hi.

If You're able to get a D12 instead, try that also, makes a world of difference.

Regards
    Sam

16. [​IMG]

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    not a kick mic fan. i use a heil pr 40 because it sounds a lot like an re 20 but with more bottom. and i love a di + 58 rig as well if you want to mic a cab on the cheap.

18. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    beyer m88
    shure ksm 27
    shure sm57/ 58/ beta 57a/ beta 58
    sennheiser 602/ 609
    these are the ones i've used in the last 6 months,
    i'm sure i'll use more in the next 6.
    sometimes with di, sometimes without.
    sometimes 2 mics.
    it all really depends on the need, they can all sound great or bad depending on the circumstance/ placement....
    that said, the
    m88 is almost always good, and i love a regular 57 mixed with a di
    for a cutting tone.

19. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    That chart does not show the bass boost you get from the proximity effect of close-micing a bass cab with an SM57.

I have heard and used a 57 by itself on bass cabs, and they sounded very good.

20. Yeah, I was looking for that proximity graph, I thought Shure used to have it on their site. IIR close proximity doesn’t get better extension; it just boosts response in the roll-out region (~100-200 Hz). When running sound, I’ve never been impressed with using a 57 on bass. Sounds just like it measures – all midbass, no low end.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021