What brand mic you using to mic your cab?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mrpackerguy, Mar 5, 2010.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    i'm about midbass so i'm down with the 58. almost used one on my gig tonight. my rider is slightly old, and there was a time when i was into the di + 58, but now i want a mic only when it's a good cab so i chickened out and had them put up a 421 instead. gotta update the rider.

2. 4lPh4n0m3g4

4lPh4n0m3g4

Nov 19, 2004
    Same.

Mic. is an AKG D112.

3. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Audio-Technica

4. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    I am more concerned with midbass also nowdays, and not worried about getting a very subby sound, so a 57 or 58 works for me.

Rant time! -

One of my big issues with the very hardheaded, hard to work with soundguys, is that they think there is only ONE "good" bass tone, guitar sound, etc - and try to mix every band the same regardless of style. The few GOOD soundmen I have had dealings with made it part of their job to understand stylistic differences among different styles of music and mix accordingly. (they actually listen to music!) If I were a soundman (and I may be some day) I would make sure I understood what type of sound the band playing is going for and mix them accordingly, within the constraints of the venue and sound system.

Case in point: - I played with a classic Honky Tonk band over the summer. I play upright bass, so it is especially challenging. I talked with the very pigheaded soundguy till I was blue in the face (very nicely and politely) about specifics required when amplifying upright bass. Our set started, and I had instant howling feedback. He had me in the goddamn monitors which I specifically told him NOT to do. He also blasted the kick drum through the subs (on either side of the stage!) even though I told him we play classic country and a "big" LOUD subby kick drum sound IS NOT wanted. Long story short, it was a crappy night. The guy paid absolutely NO attention to my requests whatsoever, because he knows everything apparently.

Second case: I played in a traditional Rocksteady / Reggae band for almost ten years. Despite all my shmoozing, beer buying, and ass-kissing soundguys over the years, almost none of them knew how to mix a reggae band. They would bitch about the subby bass tone (you ain't got no treble, mayun!) , blast the guitars for no reason (rawk out!) , and generally mix us the same way as the AC/DC cover bands that played the night before. Time and time again, we begged and pleaded for a certain mix, and time and time again our requests were completely ignored.

Most of my gigging has been at the small club level, so maybe it gets better farther up the food chain, I don't know.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    the only thing that gets different up the foodchain is:

1. generally, soundmen tend to take you and your cockamamie ideas a little more seriously and most will give you some leeway if you present yourself as someone who knows exactly what he's doing.

2. you generally win more of your arguments but you're still going to lose a few.

that's why it's good to prepare for the worst and have a plan for when they force you to use the house imp 2 instead of micing your phat rig.

6. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    Yeah, I hear ya. I am in a bit different situation now band-wise and I think things will work out a little easier. (one very low-volume Country band on upright (only snare drum, no kit) and one Rock n Roll band on electric that I can go DI with after my VT Bass)

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021