what cab would be better for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hillbillyhotrod, May 27, 2005.

1. hillbillyhotrod

Apr 8, 2005
    hey guy im getting ready to buy a new cab. i play rock/metal and bass solos like jason newsteds

i need a loud cab but still sound good, i dont use the horn on my current cab, and weight is not an issue

my choices

aguilar:gs 412

what do you think?
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd vote ampeg for metal ... time proven. I'm sure a GS412 would work as well, but would get a much more "modern" sound.
  3. 5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    i second the ampeg 810.. its heavy, but if weight isnt an issue, it has great sound, and is loud.
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If your tuning down to anything below drop D, then I dont recommend the Ampeg. If your not, then you could really give it a go.
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Aggie all the way! While I love the old Ampeg 810s and would recommend that if you can pick one up, the new stuff just doesn't cut it for me. The Avatar is nice, but if you have more cash you can do better.
  6. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Aggy 412 for sure. It's a tone and volume monster.
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Oh by the way, you should also consider a Bergantino 610 or 215. They are great for rock and metal.
  8. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    How much money do you have? What kind of head are you pairing with?

I'd definately look somewhere besides Ampeg. They are decent cabs, but that's it. Buying an Ampeg cab is about the same as buying an Avatar and paying someone $500 to stencil an Ampeg logo on it. That is all you are getting for the extra money.
  9. White_rabbit

Jan 3, 2005
    I'll choose the ampeg!!!! No doubt about it. :bassist: