What can I get with U$S4000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sebajo82, Sep 4, 2010.

1. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I've owned the incredibly expensive basses and the regular production ones. If it were me, I'd get a Fender Jazz Bass American Deluxe V :) And maybe a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz to go with it. Or maybe a Musicman Bongo V. And a really kickass amp, which would have to be according to your taste.

Tom

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Well If I had a pile of cash and wanted to "upgrade" from a Fender Deluxe V, I'd look for something with a B string that was to-die-for. (Fender ain't it!) Sadowsky, Low End, etc. That would keep the general tone and overall utility of Fender-style basses. OF course if you do a lot of studio work, I'd look into more than one bass since you do many styles. And be aware that some people (producers etc.) insist upon Fenders no matter what. That makes things like the Marcus Miller a nice option and I could even suggest that the Fender Custom Shop is a great place to drop four grand on a bass slightly better than standard Deluxe V.

That said, I'll add that for my personal choice in your position, I'd keep the Deluxe V and add a Fretless Steve Bailey 6 string for jazz and to expand what you can cover. If it's not enough cash get a custom shop version!

3. Jim Dep

Jim Dep

Dec 30, 2009
    A brand new SX and save $3,850.

4. Hollyrock

Hollyrock

Sep 11, 2010
    Some Google stock then take your percentage earnings and build something nice with your name on it cheaper.

5. I'd go with a Sadowsky Jazz 5 (find one used on TB classifieds), and look into putting the rest towards your rig.

6. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    I sell you my sister... laughing7.gif

7. Wow, thats a nice amount of $$$!!!
    What kind of bass does always call your attention or what kind of bass you definitely dont like. I think is time to start building up a group of 3 or 4 bass were to choose from otherwise the possibilities are endless.

Por otro lado, aprovecha tus chances de formar parte del "Argentinian Bassist Club" que por ahora somos 2 solos!!!!!!:bawl:

8. Batmensch

Batmensch

Jul 4, 2010
    Media, PA.
    Me, Peronally, I would get a brand new Fender P-bass and an Ampeg SVT stack. But that's just me.

9. Man, send me $2500 and a ticket to Buenos Aires and you can have my Lakland 55-02 AND my Peavey GV (graphite fiber neck) with hard case, shipped.

Or, I'll bring them to you!

My offer IS serious, by the way.

[EDIT]It's turning into spring down there, right?[/EDIT]

10. MRDOOM

MRDOOM

Jul 16, 2009
    Utah
    For that money you could get a pretty nice bass AND a nice rig.

11. This is it. Bam. Choose three if they add up to too much. Highly recommend stingray HH. Or have a look over at the EBMM website and check out their newer basses, they're all good.

12. This ^^^

I'd would get a Really nice $2000 jazz ala Valenti, Mike Lull, USA Lakland, etc., and then a decent back up. Deals are to be had in the TB classifieds.

13. Boombass76

Boombass76 Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    BassCollect Blog & Shop (founder)
    If I should start from scratch with $4k, I'd get this:

- Fender P
    - Fender J
    - StingRay 5

Depending on how vintage you want to on the Fenders, you may even have money to spend on something else :)

Even though I was a one-bass-does-it-all kinda guy for many years, I now consider the three above basses essential as they each produce classic and timeless - yet very different - tones. And all of them are to be considered 'pro' even though the price tag may be a lot less than your budget ;-)

14. ExurKun

ExurKun

Sep 29, 2009
    Rochester
    MIA Fender
    Sadowsky
    Lakland
    Warwick
    EBMM
    honestly if youre dropping that much cash you should go play some!

15. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    OP, I bought a 3/4 scale SX Jazz Bass, Lake Placid Blue for $35 - gave it to my my 10 year-old. With the $3965 left over, I bought some GHS Precision flats, another $30.

Sounds REALLY good. Plays well, too.

Still have $3935. :eek:

16. Best answer yet.
    But, I'm still looking for that round trip ticket :smug:

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I will keep collecting until I have 40 basses
    What can I get with U$S4000?

over 30 SX basses ....

:bag:

18. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    With your Fender Jazz Bass American Deluxe V all you would need is 2 or3 more basses. Yes and buy used for sure.

1. A Lakland Skyline 5502 does the stingray sound, Pbass and modern jazz sound quite nicely. It is an incredibly versatile bass with an incredible B string. Here is a review and sound samples. http://www.bassemporium.com/newsletters/0907newsletter.html
    This is my go to bass for funk, jazz, blues, old school rock.

2. A fretless version of either the 5502 or your Fender.

3. If you just want a rocking aggressive modern bass. I can't recommend Warwicks enough. I love my Streamer Jazzman 5 string and Corvette fretless to death. I don't recommend the Thumb 5 string because of the neck dive is terrible. I loved the tone but still sold mine.
    Spector Euros and Stingray HH are great too.

19. Boombass76

Boombass76 Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    BassCollect Blog & Shop (founder)
    While I love my 55-02, I have to respectfuly disagree that it can sound like a Stingay or a P. And that's not a bad thing - it just has a sound of its own, a unique one, which is good!

I bought my 5502 to replace my Stingray 5 as I also suspected that it could do the SR 5 sound (due to the rear humbucker w/ 3-way switch). Unfortunately, I sold my SR5 and then realized that the 5502 could't. Well, I got another SR 5 and now I have both and they're both great. If anything the 55-02 can mimic a Jazz to a certain degree. I have never gotten a P-like sound out of it (but then again, I haven't tried ) :)