What Direct Boxes is Everyone finding success with?

Discussion in 'Bass Central' started by Michael777, Jan 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Michael777

Michael777

Feb 22, 2006
    General Manager: Bass Central
    What Direct Boxes is Everyone finding success with?

2. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    For sound company favorites (not Avalon or my personal favorite, REDDI)...

Countryman Type 85 and Type 10.

Radial JDI (passive and what I carry) or J48 (Active). The less-expensive Pro series is good stuff. Actually, everything Radial makes just rocks.

I list these because they are the most often requested DI on band's production riders.

There's several others that are less money and give quite decent results. I've had good luck with the Live Wire DIs. Well-built.

Then there's the DI/preamp like the Sansamp units. A buddy has had a Sansamp for years and it's done nothing but work perfectly every time. EBS has a tube-type DI/preamp that I've love to check out.
    There's an MXR unit that I hear works well.

Santa didn't bring me a REDDI like I asked for, but I may beat him to it next year...:D

newfuture likes this.
  3. I absolutely LOVE my DHA VT1-EQ-Bass-Drive. I've said it a few times here on TB, it's the only pedal I ever truly NEED - I use it for going direct, for a little true tube dirt, as an EQ if needed, as a boost, you name it. Edit: Also for full-on fuzz if/when wanted!

4. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Pro soundman & friend answered the same question when I asked with one word: "Radial".
    Radial has also has shown up in studios for keyboardist's rig-to-console link(they sent me through an Avalon).

I carry a super cheapo that is only used when the FOH folks don't have a better one. A Radial is on my GAS list.

5. newfuture

newfuture

Jul 13, 2007
    Radial J48/ JDI & Countryman type 85 have never let me down.

Come to think of it, neither has the DI out from my head (trace GP11. transformer balanced output).

6. H2okie

H2okie

Jan 30, 2014
    Jacksonville, FL
    I typically carry Tech 21 VT Bass DI and/or MB200 amp with DI (pre or post EQ). MB200 has come in handy to drive stage monitor speaker and providing DI. Also have used the Peterson Strobe tuner for DI. So far so good with all of these options. I had a weird grounding problem using a house provided DI several years ago. This one experience has me avoiding DI boxes that were not my own. I now always bring 2 of my own. So far I've never needed the back-up.

7. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Countryman 85

8. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Radial

9. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    Whirlwind Director. Passive but no issues. Well built. Long history.

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Radial JDI.

11. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I prefer my amps DI as well.

12. BSS Audio - AR-133

Take a sec, and read the reviews.

BSS AR-133

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021