Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do I do with this thing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trevorus, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I got this from a friend. He needed a crt monitor, and I thought I could do something with this bass. It doesn't sound bad, but I would like to make it into something interesting...

[​IMG]

2. totally strip all the parts off of it, sell them in the local black market, take all our earnings and hope to find a wicked deal on a warwick.

3. "Mmmm....Warwick.......!"

4. Dip it in chocolate.

Cover it with tinfoil.

Put fingerpaints on a dog's paws and let him walk all over it.

Pull the frets out.

Make it an 8 string.

install a small propane tank and torch to make your very own Trogdor the Burninator bass. Why pay $3000 on Ebay?

Tune it funny; Drop D, or BEAD, or ADGC or EEEE or whatever.

Sell it.

Trade it in.

Hang onto it. When you're making your first big video, or playing that super important big gig, you'll want a bass you can smash/burn.

Practice your budding luthier skills and carve the body and headstock into a unique shape beautiful only to your eyes. Then reshape the neck to a custom countour that fits your hand but no one else's. THEN put it on Ebay.

Change the pickups, wiring, bridge, tuners, body, neck, nut, strap buttons, and knobs.

The list is endless!

5. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Necrotic,
    Damn man that list is too funny!:D I personally think that a tin foil bass would be bad-ass!

Seriously though, if you want to keep it and make it your "own" you may want to upgrade components such pickups, bridge, etc or you could go the fretless route.

Shawn

6. To me the answer is obvious: go play some hockey.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stab someone.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I don't know, it looks like it would look cool in the eyes of a young player... sell it to a goth kid, or donate it to a school. Or Beadazzle (tm) it.

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What I was thinking of doing is installing some lace sensor jazz pickups, putting the neck one in at an angle to fit in that route.

10. +1 on the school -or-

Give it or sell it very very cheap to a young beginning player who could really use it. Maybe in ten years it will show up here in a 'my first bass' thread ;)

But I can't stop thinking of making a slap shot .....

Peace,
    S

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

There is this stuff called "Floam".
    http://www.buyfloam.com/?cid=151514

Dude, go nuts.

12. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Now this has to be the best tuning ever. I just have to try this some day.

Oh man, the picture just finished loading. I started out on the very same model. It did sound okay-ish (for a bass with a plywood body, that is) but struck me as kind of hard to play with very little output.

I really wanted the white version back then, but all that was available for lefties was the generic-looking black one.

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    First things first change the strings. Insptite of that healthy rust colour on them I would think that if you had floam strings they would sound better.

Try stripping the finish and put something new on it just for kicks. Pull the frets out and fill them with veneer. Change the pickups and make the neck unfinished. Use it to learn how to do a propper setup.

And if you do have major gig I would smash it in a climatic finale to the show. It would look pretty damn sweet from an audience point of view.

Oh and three letters...LED's

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Alrighty, some good ideas here...

Well, as far as practicing on this thing, I've been there. I have been customizing guitars and basses for years, so no need to practice on this thing really. Fretless would be ok, but I would rather have this thing sounding better first. Like I said, I might be putting some different pickups in it, and getting it to sound good. It sounds decent now, but it could sound better. I am not investing too much in this plywood body anyways.

I was thinking about getting a jazz body, and making a franken-jazz (maybe with a lefty body strung righty). But, then again, I could sell this off for someone to learn on, and buy myself an Essex. But, I need to renew my supporting membership so I can sell stuff here.

Anyways, I am going to be making adjustments with the pickups that should give them a bit more beef, and cleaning this thing up in general. With my USA Peavey Foundation S I just got, the whole black bass thing is covered, and very well I might add. I don't like having duplicates of basses. It's bad enough I have 2 red ones right now.

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    You might as well get a jazz neck for it as well :D

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, that's why I was just thinking of selling this thing as a starter bass (which it is well suited for, it plays really very well!), and getting an Essex.

17. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i would use it to learn how to practice levelling and crowning frets and refinishing.