1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do I miss in this pedal board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sapatown, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Hey,

I was wondering what you would put in this board?
    I have a tuner, into a Darkglass Vintage Ultra v2 Preamp, Pharaoh BATW Fuzz, Damnation Audio Distortion, and Minotaur Swamp Lord fuzz, (Muff clone with mids) into a Walrus Fanthom Reverb pedal.

Later I have added a Delay pedal infront of the Reverb.
    I also switched the Pharaoh Fuzz in the place of the Swamp Lord, which made my tone alot better!
    I only use one of the Fuzz/Distortion at a time for different songs..

I play loud heavy rock metal in Drop C tuning, (CGCF).

Maby I should get a compressor pedal? Or a Noise gate?
    Like a supply pedal instead of another effect pedal to make the sound smoother or more articulate.

I also wonder what you guys think is the best to have the preamp first in the pedalboardchain, or last, after all the effects..?

Cheers!

Attached Files:

Ellery likes this.
  2. Wretched Banana

Wretched Banana

Mar 7, 2020
    MA, US
    Sounds like you don't need anything else. If you're always using all that dirt your signal is naturally compressed too, a separate pedal won't do much.

If you must absolutely spend money maybe consider building a crossover/frequency-split path with something like KMA Tyler and keep those lows clean and maybe apply a compressor there? I suppose that'd be one of the most noticeable improvements you can make.

Sapatown likes this.
  3. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    A power supply won't do anything to make your effects sound "smoother" or more articulate. The most it can do it clean up some hum/buzz that is being caused by ground loops. Save your money for something else.

crapusername likes this.
  4. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Thanks for answers! Got that cleared up now!

Cheers!

5. Every board needs an octave and an envelope filter even if your music has no use for it. I don't make the rules.

I literally just made up that rule. Do what you want.

6. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Agreed on the splitter.

I will say that a compressor can make a difference ahead of the dirt. If found that running a comp first will change how the fuzz/distortion behaves, and can also function as a boost to push settings that aren’t already maxed out on gain. For my rig (Hilbish Compressimiser and Pessimiser) the comp adds more mid focus to the first, but not the same way boosting the mid EQ does.

Obviously IME, YMMV.

7. Cioks DC7 V2 for power. It won't "smooth or articulate" but it will give you a perceived "hi-fi" quality from the reduction of white noise. This often why some players avoid pedals altogether...they would rather play clear/articulate than awash in modulation or dealing with multiple gain stages.

halech54 likes this.
  8. halech54

halech54

Jul 15, 2015
    Richmond VA,
    Will second the idea of an octave pedal; other than that a dedicated power supply would be a good idea. Also maybe consider running the preamp after your fuzzes, with the fuzzes, then the Damnation; then the Darkglass, other than that if it's getting the job done I wouldn't change a thing

Sapatown likes this.
  9. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Whats the difference to have it after my fuzzes?

10. The texture of the distortion will be different. Also the more detailed eqs will have a lot more harmonic content to shape if they're placed after the fuzz.

Sapatown likes this.
  11. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Will defo try that!

12. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    :laugh: +1

Sapatown likes this.
  13. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    So having the fuzzes infront of my preamp will also make the fuzz effect trough the PA with DI, right? For example if I dont have amps live.

Had a gig once, and blew the amp out.
    So me and the band got no bass onstage. But since my preamp had DI running into the soundmans desk, the crowd still hadd bass on the house PA.

But it was only clean, since it was first in the chain of my board.

halech54 likes this.
  14. That's right.

15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    How ‘bout the be of these?
    CB007E37-52D0-4BE0-8084-8E3CEDE18B6B.jpeg

16. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    Don't you get beer all over everything with that?

Killing Floor likes this.
  17. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    If I'm using a thousand bucks worth of effects, better believe I'm using top of the line power supply.

BOOG likes this.
  18. Love_Bass

Love_Bass

Sep 5, 2012
    How about a talent pedal? You will never have to practice or work hard ever again. The more money you spend the better you will play!!

Killing Floor, Ellery and Sapatown like this.
  19. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    Im using the MXR Iso Brick power supply.
    It works really well!

Had the T-Rex Classic before, but it was not isolated, so hums and buzz was there.

20. Sapatown

Sapatown

Sep 16, 2016
    I would love the talent pedal XD

westrock likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021