Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do we think of Warwick Corvettes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i like tictacs, May 7, 2004.

1. I just ordered one, and I'm picking it up tomorrow. Personally I have played them and I love them. What is everyones (or anyones) experience with them? Good/bad? Any problems I should be aware of? I searched and didn't get much info.

:cool:

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i like mine. it came with two necks and bridges - a five and a six. they are not warwick necks (magnus krempel made them), but it still have a great tone - very growly.

as to the neck dive - this is what makes me hate this bass - i can only play it for so long before i get pissed, but most of the time it's worth it, cause the tone is so deep and growly.

check my profile

3. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    prior to 1999? Exellent!

brass just a nut= good

graphite just a nut= meh.

4. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I love mine. Great sound, and pretty comfortable to play. In fact I'm looking to get a six string 'vette pretty soon.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    ****ing heavy!

6. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    "Its log, its log its better than wood, its good!

Why yes sir I like it."

Yeah, I love mine. I wanna get a punchy bass next so then those will be the only two I ever need. Very tonally excellent. Mine has EMGs in it though. My only gripe about Warwicks is the MEC pickups or preamps can randomly die for no reason at all with a tiny bump to the bass. Then another bump makes them work again. The newer ones always gave me trouble.

7. How is the neck dive? I wear my strap really short, the bass is usually between my stomach/chest and the headstock a few inches above my head.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    One of my students has a corvette and for a Warwick it's a decent bass. Another of my acolytes has a Thumb and it is beyond rubbish.

9. mnemonix

mnemonix

Apr 27, 2004
    England
    care to elaborate ? i find such subjectivety unusual for a *cough* buddhist.

10. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I like my corvette but I use my stingray more :bassist:

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    No.

12. crazytom

crazytom

Mar 21, 2004
    I currently own 2 Warwicks. A corvette fna jazzman 5 string, and a corvette standard 6 string. Both of which I am extremely pleased.

God bless
    Tom

13. smifedeg

smifedeg

Apr 28, 2004
    Århus, Denmark

Well you could still just change the nut if that's the only thing you have aginst the Corvette. ;)

Personally I don't like the design, and I deffinately do not like the bolt ons, they are way too chunky neckwise.

I'm a huge Warwick fan, though I'm currently with out a Warwick, just sold my Thumb n/t 4.

Warwicks are great crafted and most of the are well designed too. You cannot point any fingers at the electronics either. Well you may not like what you hear of play, but actually you cannot blame the axe, it does what it's told to.

Personally I would go for a Dolphin or Infinity.

14. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    Didn't think much of warwicks 'till last month, when I got to play a great fretless corvette at a GC near Miami. It was active, unlined, and it totaly blew me away. I would've bought it on the spot if I wasn't 300 bucks short.
    Good luck!

15. the same here:) my stingray has been my main instrument for about 9 months, 2 weeks ago I saw a second hand corvette (with the active-passive switch). I got lucky and was able to trade it for a mexican fender jazz. I really like the corvette, but I still prefer my Stingray.

16. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Mine is fretted... but the same options. Good bass.

17. I had a 6-string Corvette Standard for a while. It was a great instrument. The only reason I got rid of mine was because I bought a Hanewinckel 7-string and that pretty much fulfilled my needs and I wasn't really playing the 'vette anymore.

- Dave

18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I have a Corvette 6 and I love it
    (though sometimes I do wish I got a Proline 6 in ocean blue *yumm* but then I say i wouldnt have all that bubinga growl.)

And its a serious eyecatcher with all toher bassists here playing painted or sunburst basses - and for the reason that it has 6 strings - something rarely seen here :cool: :D

19. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I had a Warwick Crovette Standard 5 string for a year, then I found a Ibanez SR886 and I had to buy it. I love the 6 string but I LOVED the Warwick. My Ampeg B-2r crapped out on me so I had to buy a new amp, I sold my Warwick and got a Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600. I went to Guitar Center last month and found myself wondering in the Warwick section...I picked up a Warwick 5 String Crovette FNA JAZZMAN and WOW!!! That had the best tone I've ever heard, such great low end. As soon as I have enough money I'm going to buy one of the following:

4 string Musicman Stingray
    4/5 string FNA Jazzman
    4/5 string Thumb nt - used

I really want a 4 string to slap and play less musically intense things on, I think I'm going to buy the FNA Jazzman ....wow did I love that tone.

20. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I've never had a problem with neck dive on my bass. I have mine pretty high as well and It always stays put.