What do ya think?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mcnaire2004, Feb 17, 2006.

1. I am going to purchase a 5 string bass (with a high C not a low B) and I was thinking of adding a low C extention. Having 2 C strings would be great what do you all think?
  2. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I think it sounds like a strange idea. Especially with your talk of learning concertos and other pieces, I'm surprised you'd want to add another string. As cliche as it sounds, to me, four is hard enough. We used to only used 3. I don't think that you'd use the high C string enough to make it worth how ever much more money it would be to get it.

But, hey, I think think it would look cool (seriously).
  3. Well it will make it easier for alot of the high notes. Right now I am playing the Dragonetti and I have almost mastered the first movement in 4 days. One thing I don't like is the harmonics past the fingerboard. I guess I can reduce that with an extra string. The 5 string (fully carved) bass is only 2325 as opposed to the 4 string version of the same bass 2025 so the price thing isn't a factor. I was thinking of "tricking out" my bass with a extended left side of my finger board. I feel that I will use a extra string more (with appropriate time to get used to it) because I won't go down the "G" string as much I could be on the "C" string more.
  4. jb6884

Jan 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
  5. G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    A good friend of mine in the Sydney Symphony has done this on his Fendt. He rocks BUT he gets lazy from never having to lift his arm up....
    How will people know what you are playing is difficult??
  6. That is a good point. It wouldn't be hard to find out the harmonics on a C string. I Know the harmonics are different but it is different on every string. Here I will stop typing and calculate the harmonics (not the ones past the finger board). Where you "harmonically tune" the top note will be a "C" and the bottom will be a "G". Shifting down to thumb position the first harmonic will be a "C". The next harmonic will be a "G" and then the last main harmonic on the finger board is a "C". Notes and harmonics wont be to hard because every string tuned in 5ths have the same difference in each note.
  7. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
  8. jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
  9. I've never heard of someone trying to spend so much money to play just one piece of music.

And at that, a high C string wouldn't help you one bit with the harmonics.
  10. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    How does the high C string sound on a big bass? It would seem to me that the tone would be pretty thin unless the bass was a smaller solo instrument that liked to speak in a really high range at the expense of the lowest bass notes.

Steve Swan
    Retailer for Paesold, Wilfer, Gill, Mastri, Shen, Kolstein, etc.
  11. The C string doesn't matter now because I have to decided to go with the 4 string and save 300$ (which is close to the price of shipping). I was just wondering what you all would think of a bass with 2 "C" strings. I will have "C" extension put on the 4 string. Thanks for your opinions.
  12. Where's the salt? I need a grain to take with this thread. :smug:
  13. LOL:p
  14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I'm sure you'll have a large selection of "C" strings to try.
  15. The only thing about the C extension that pisses me off is that I can't find any. The one's I do find are around 1000$. I don't want to spend a 1000$ on a C extension when I paid 2075$ for the bass.
  16. Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    I have been thinking about this... for all of five minutes... and hey! why not have a high C instead of a low C? Would the tensions on the bass be dangerous? surely not.. and nowadays espcially, the bass players are expected to play in high registers, so why not have this 'lazy-man's-string'? If low B's and C's exists, why not a high c? It would look daft of course, but it would still sound like a bass right? Given the different tunings that basses have used throught history, this almost (and i said ALMOST) seems to make sense. I definately would not want a high C on my bass, but it would be fun to play on one with a high C, for sure!

have i succumbed to the dark side?
  17. Maccarthy: I've seen a 5 string with a high C. There's really no point. The person who had it just didn't want to reach up the fingerboard.

Mcnaire: $1000 is really cheap for a C extension. When I had mine put on, it was just under $2000. Is the one you found just for the machine, or having it put on, as well?
  18. jb6884

Jan 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I believe KC Strings has one for 500...
  19. Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Don't get me wrong, i'm a fan of four string basses - i dont like basses low Bs, it changes all the angles for the bowing arm, and i find it uncomfortable and unnecessary. As would be the case with a high C. But i can't help wondering if this high C is really such a bad idea. given that many orchestral players have learned to play five string instruments with a low B, the surely a fiver stringer with a high C could be mastered just as easily. The bass is 'traditionally' tuned in forths anyway, so the high C wouldn't make the bass sound weird, and alot more could be done in the (current) upper register.

the only reason i can think of for this being a bad idea, is in an orchestral setting: to write for a basss with a high c would cause an even bigger cross-over in range between the bass and the cello - the bass is 'meant' to play the LOW notes, and writing for a bass with a high C in an orchestral setting would seem pointless - why not give it to the cellos? i mean after all, the highest note possible on a bass in the orchestra is an octave above open g right?;)

but seriously, maybe this would work for soloists? maybe?

can anyone think of any other reason for this lazy-man's-string being a bad idea?