1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you do with your Tweeter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jtc_hunter, Apr 28, 2010.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Ok, in the bass guitar section a member posted "show us you Wenge!" So here in the amp section I am asking "what do you do with your tweeter?". I have Avatar cabs and when i first got them, I turned the atenuator almost all the way down, but lately I am liking it at about 50% . Maybe it just takes awhile to learn how to appreciate certain tones. I run my GK amp with the EQ's almost all at 12:00 slightly varying the lows and low mids down to 10:00 in boomy rooms. I run my boost at about 2:00. And the tone on my bass more towards the treble side. Lets hear what you
    "Do with your tweeter?" :hyper:

2. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    I like to throw it in the trash and not bother with the damb thing. :)

I like "old-school" cabs

3. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    With my Mark Bass 210 Traveler bass cab, I keep the tweeter attenuator turned all the way down.

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I'll say it a third time. I keep it off.

5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Only the third time? ;)

I use mine @ around 60% all the time. My technique is far from flawless, but if I eliminate obnoxious clackiness at the source, it never gets reproduced anyway, but it's there for the occasional pop/slap dynamic effect.

6. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    When I had cabs that had tweeters I would turn them off.

Then I realized I could just get cabs that don't have them so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

To clarify I didn't buy my cabs based on the fact that they didn't have tweeters, but more on the fact that they sound incredible and were easy to transport, the lack of tweeter was just a lovely bonus in my book.

7. Seeing as how my amp only has an on/off button I just leave it on. Unless I am using distortion for some reason or another, then I think it sounds better with it off.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i install a true bypass on it and turn it off.

9. I turn mine all the way down, but now I am thinking of doing what johnk 10 does.

10. My horn amp is on about 60-70% most of the time, but I'm using a G-K amp and cab so it's a little different. When I was using the 800RB (cab in full range mode) it was set pretty low. I am old.........school even.

11. stoolpigeon

stoolpigeon

Dec 17, 2009
    Greenville SC
    Typically its a bout 75%...i like the bit of attack it gives me onstage.

12. Turn it off.

13. I turn it off.

14. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    All the way on (100%). Then I use the EQ (bass and amp) to dial up my sound.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    there was a time i liked just a hint of tweeter, but for almost all my life i never had a cab with one. 5k's plenty.

16. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    So far that 10 -off, and 5 on.

17. I turn mine off

18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    All the way off, all of the time.

19. PortugalWillie

PortugalWillie

Jul 17, 2009
    I use mine to tell my friends what I'm doing in 140 characters or less.

20. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
    +1

I hate tweeters. They give me a toothache. :spit: