1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you eat before a gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by capnsandwich, Nov 4, 2010.

1. A couple weeks ago, I played a 4 hour gig with NO BREAKS. I didn't know it was going to be 4 hours but it kept on going and going and my fingers were HATING me when I was done. 80% of them were very uptempo with a lot of runs, typical urban gospel kind of stuff.

When I was done, I found myself to be light headed and weak due to the fact that I didn't eat before I played. I thought we were going to eat there so I didn't eat dinner but someone lied to me and I didn't have anything for about 5 hours before arriving on top of the 4 hours of playing. I almost passed out walking to my car and several times on the way home.

I now make it a priority to eat some carbohydrates before I know I'm going to be playing for over an hour. I have come to find out that by eating carbs before I play, my awareness is peaked and my mind thinks quicker and I also seem to play better with a full stomach.

Does anyone else find it important to eat anything specific before they play? If so, what and why?

Also, mods, I have no idea where else to post this thread. If there's a better spot, please feel free to move it.

2. I like to eat burritos before gigs. I feel like if i eat too much i often get tired and i start to get more sloppy with my playing.

3. Burritos would be good since they have both simple and complex carbs in the beans. However, depending on how long you're playing, they might start affecting other band members.........if you know what I mean.

4. I used to try to eat "healthy" food before a gig, but at my age (49), it just takes too much out of me. A high-protein, high-calorie meal does best, and I always try to bring bananas and a gatorade to the gig.

5. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    i eat something extremely light on short gigs. but on long gigs i eat something about maybe an hour before so i don't have to run off stage to go to the bathroom.

6. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    If I can fit it in after soundcheck, a real Shish Kebab from a good place, good lamb on a skewer over charcoal, in pitta, with chilli sauce, lot's of salad and a couple of chill's. If it's legit, I'm one happy better sounding bass player : )

7. richardbethell

richardbethell

Aug 13, 2009
    I eat about an hour before a show, usually something from a restaurant so it includes lots of calories and carbs. I like an energy drink to sip during a show helps to keep me revved up. Food on the road is not always great and meal times vary. Always good to have a bag of nuts or fruit handy to keep things semi balanced.

8. I just drink some coffee. If I eat too much I get gassy, and I can't sing because I'm burping balls the whole time.

9. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    Although I never had a set preference, one way or another I have always ended up eating a slice of pizza. Every single gig. Odd, but delicious.

10. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    sushi

11. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    I never eat much less than three hours before we start. Too much blood to the stomach to take care of the food, less for the brain. Not a good scenario. If I really need something during the gig, some cashews fill the bill.

L. Howard

12. richardbethell

richardbethell

Aug 13, 2009
    I love this thread......food and bassists is the ultimate stereo type.....i am hungry just thinking about playing my bass....lol

13. somethin greezy helps lube up those strings

14. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I usually will try to grab a 1/2 lb burger about 2 hours before the gig and a banana before and one after (on the way home). Protein is my friend and the bananas help guard against leg cramps (Yeah, I'm old) :meh:

15. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I like to try and eat a couple hours before gigs. I don't like that full feeling while I play. I do eat after which is bad as it is often late and that is the worst time to eat, but man I'm hungry. What can you do?

16. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    hops and barley and yeast

17. And water, don't forget the water! :)

18. Seeing as I usually only eat once or twice daily anyway, I don't generally make a habit of eating before I play. In fact, I tend to avoid it, since that one big meal tends to make me look like an overstuffed sausage.

But I do make sure to load up on caffeine and nicotine in the build-up period, and usually take one (ONE!) shot immediately prior to going onstage.

19. Oh, we eat what they offer to us where we play. Sometimes Fast Food with French Fries etc, but often really good Meals with Steaks or Filets and so on. The only Thing is, it has to be some Time between the Meal and the Gig, because we all don't like this full Feeling on the Stage.

20. Some sort of sandwich that I can take my time eating, wrap up and save for any break that we might get, etc. Basically nothing that I feel rushed to eat, because I hate that feeling in general.