What do you know about Ashdown & Behringer Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vintageampeg, Mar 3, 2005.

1. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    OK I need some education. I'm intrigued by the price points of Ashdown & Behringer cabinets.

I'm looking for a 115 to use sometimes as a sole/primary cab and sometimes as an extension cab to a GK 2x10 combo amp.

I'm under the impression Ashdown is pretty good quality for the price ($250 for a 1x15 "deep" cab) and that Behringer $180 for a 1x15 cab) is to Ashdown as Squier is to Fender Mexico.

You all know more than me - what's the real deal?
  2. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The general concensus as you probably know around is:
    Behringer = Crap
    Ashdown = Awesome

Try them both out to see if the Ashdown deserves a + $70 pricetag.

Also, I'm sure someone will tell you to grab an Avatar cab. The only 15's on the website are the NEOs, but I would contact Dave if you'd like one of the earlier models.
  3. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
  4. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Anyway I second the Avatar suggestion!

5. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

uh...you won't get the real deal on this forum. Lots of venomous opinions with questionable first hand experience.

Do yourself a big favor and look elsewhere.
  6. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I have tried the "B" cabs(115 and 410 aluminum) and I have to say I was impressed by the tones I got. I played a fender jazz into one of the BX3000T's and was surprised by how polished the cab sounded. The high end was definetely heard and the aluminum gave a unique presence. If you are into low deep bass with no highs then these are not for you. If you slap a little and need the high end sheen then these cabs response are what you need. I have not played the paper ones but would love to A/B em to see the differences.

Let's be honest they are not going to blow the doors off any high end stuff such as Aguilar, Bergantino, EA, or Accugroove. But for a low cost beat around or a beginner just starting out you can not beat the bang for the buck. We all know of B's business practice but as a B user I am using this stuff to get by. I have a V-amp pro but will soon be getting a Bmax SS.

Please let us not turn this thread into a soapbox. :crying: :eyebrow: :rolleyes: :bag:
  7. I don't know anything about the Behringer. I have an Ashdown Mag 4-10t combo and an Ashdown 2-10t Deep cab and they're great for the money. I bought the 2-10 from samedaymusic for $250. I think these cabs (and Ashdown amps) are the best deal for the money. I've AB'd my combo v. virtually everything non-boutique and the only thing I liked better was an Aguilar DB 659 w/ their 2x12 cab but couldn't justify the substantial extra $ for the difference I felt.

Just my opinion though. I have always preferred a warm but hi-fi sound. I played Trace Elliots for years and think the Ashdown is a good mix of vintage and clarity. Someone who loves Ampeg or SWR might not agree.
  8. "Behringer= crap" ?.... Oh ..I forgot, it must be the Chinese sewatshop thing all over again.....
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nah, its the bargain-basement component thing . . . I had Behringer fail, the sound company my band hires had all three of its Behringer crossovers fail . . . its all about the cheap components, baby.
  10. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Word. Same deal with Nady. INSANELY Unreliable gear... particularly the PA gear I've used. :(

As for the cabs, I would recommend Avatar as well. Even if B had a clean slate as far as the ethics go, Avatar is still a better bargain for the money, and you'd probably save yourself a future upgrade. Not to mention the first class service you get.
  11. Funny, I've played a lot of Ashdown amps at my local dealer and not experienced any of the things you're talking about. In fact I'm pretty impressed with Ashdown so far.
  12. Sorry to hear that!... Really!..... It's good to hear it's not a copy issue! Maybe you could dwell alittle more on the "bargain -basement" issue. I hear that in posts but not sure what that means. What is "Botique" I for one have no idea what that is........
  13. Too late:

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Maybe I'll take some heat from this, but I dont really like the sound of Berhinger OR Ashdown. I'd much rather go with an Avatar than either of these.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You can't handle "the real deal."