Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think about the odd Parker Fly?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by De Teng, Jan 13, 2005.

You like it... or not?

Poll closed Jan 20, 2005.
  1. No way, I'm never going to buy this thing...

88 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. Dunno.. takes time I think

26 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Yes... I am beginning to like it more and more...

15 vote(s)
    10.1%
  4. Definitely... gimme gimme!!!

19 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Personally I dig it! I read this review about the bass in a bassmagazine in holland (called Bassmagazine... what a coincidence folks) and was fascinated in a way by its design.

How elegant, modern en stylish! A lot of basses with new designs or alterations of the traditional look like crap to me, but not this one. I was wondering how you feel about it?

(Got one on the GAS list btw... )

[​IMG]

2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'm one of those guys who's too philosophical about ordinary things. I admit it too. If I were any more like this, I'd sit around the house pondering the purpose of dust bunnies, etc.

Music should not be about looks. Personally, if I found a neon pink 4-94 with Basslines in it at or around $1500 or less, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Personally, I'm not attracted to that bass because of the look, I'm pushed back by the J/J pickup configuration.

3. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    The appearance doesn't really matter, but I like my basses to sound good unplugged. When I played one of these, I thought it was very weak. Maybe the electronics would make up for it, but I was turned off before I plugged it in..

4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    A smalll note concerning the tone... the reviewer said that a lot of traditional sounds were obtainable but with a modern feeling. Together with the piezo pup, a very round and deep basstone. A bit smaller spacing then normal (bridge... 17mm... what a pity) but nevertheless a very nice playability.

The poll is about the design only in fact...

(although it isn't my main concern when buying a bass, it's nice that the bass looks good as well... but has one of the lowest priorities)

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The shape itself is ok, but it's too big and wide for that bass, if that makes sense. It works on the guitars.

6. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I think you are better off spending that $1500+ on something more versatile in all situations. That parker is more of a fusion jazz bassists dream, but in any other situation, it just won't fit with it's looks. If you are playing with bela fleck or someone, yes its perfect, if you are the weekend bar gigger, heck no!!

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would assume that it's targeted at the professional gigging musician in a wedding band, as the guitar is, and is probably a hell of a bass for that purpose. I'll bet it sounds the business and is light as a feather. Not my style but I'm sure it's a hell of a bass.

8. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    I played one just like that at BassNW. In contrast to AlembicBob, I loved the unplugged tone. I found it rich and warm - almost acoustic sounding. However, it did not have the punch I get when playing my NYBW Deep Jazz unplugged. Maybe you can elaborate on what you mean by weak, AlembicBob?

Anyway, it is very alive and responsive to touch both acoustically and amplified. It rewards varying technique. I think it is a fabulous instrument. It would not replace one of my NYBW 6-string basses but if I could afford 5 basses, one would be a Parker Fly. Very playable, rewarding, and VERY full of usable, righteous tones. It's really one of my faves.

BTW, I read the BP review of it, and for once I agree with them.

http://www.bassplayer.com/archive/0703/0703_Soundroom1.htm

Tom H.

9. slicecom

slicecom

Oct 19, 2004
    Toronto
    Easially one of the most ugly basses ever.

10. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I'd like to step in, which is out of the ordinary for me on this list. New things are always scary, I bet the first time a farmer saw a tractor he thought it fugly, for that matter the first time a bassist saw an electric bass. Time will tell what new designs stick and what was a fad, or a flop. I think its important for designers, if only for cosmetic purposes, to keep pushing the envelope otherwise nothing would ever change. How many times have you guys played with your band and tried something new, and it sucks, and the drummer hits you with a stick... well mabye not that bad. But for every couple times you pull something out of left field, you get a great result !! :)

Ill step off the soap box now.
    (please for the love of god dont take me seriously)

11. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Don't think it will grow on me so I'll pass.

12. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US

Tom, I felt it was very sterile sounding. For me, I felt the tone of the Fly 5 I played sounded about the same as if I had strung up an I-beam. From one perspective, that can be a wonderful thing, kind of like the Modulus neck-thrus that I owned some years back. I suspect that for those who seek piano tones, that the Fly will produce, but it will take some help from electronics to get a tone with classic bluesy warmth. I would say that the Fly also lacked sustain, maybe the neck joint wasn't as tight as it should have been?

For comparison, I have played Zon for most of the last ten years, and those basses really provided the benefits of composite necks while still capturing some woodsy warmth.

Just my opinion, and based on playing one Fly 5 for about 15 minutes.

-Bob

13. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I just wish they'd have ported the guitar shape directly to the bass, like Ken Parker did with Steve Swallow's, and came close to doing with that one fretless 6 Ken made with no lower horn.

The way the bass came out is totally unappealing to me, and I think the Fly is the finest *guitar* ever created.

14. And people make fun of the Bongos looks. :scowl:

15. Survey says...........pffffffftttttt! That thing is gross. Gimme my Stingray....quick!

16. It looks like something Sigourney Weaver would use in a Battle of the Bands against the Aliens. Half expecting it to be hoarding a sub-machine gun or projectile of some sort in there. You supposed to actually play that thing? Looks like it would maybe make a good RC Airplane or something to that effect.

17. I was thinking it looks like a toilet seat.....doesn't it?

18. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    havent heard one...but from looks alone....not diggin it

19. That could definitly pass for something in the way of a stylish 00's toilet seat. Definitly something that'll get soiled on by many bassists either way. :rolleyes: