1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what do you think? (denelectro)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guest043, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/vie...brid2.JPG,hybrid3.JPG,hybrid4.JPG,hybrid5.JPG

the body and neck pickup are vintage. new neck, bridge, and two middle pickups were added..

what do these dano basses/lipstick pickups as theyre called, sound like? i did a search and all i could find was that an original silvertone isint a mudbucket..great.

anyway, its on ebay and comes to something like $430 shipped. im seriously considering it..its among the most unique, cool basses ive ever seen, i just need an idea of weather or not the sound will be for me. in the description he says its a great slapper? feedback?

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    denelectro? Good lord, how could you misspell something like that? You don't deserve to own that bass! :D

3. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    haha idk how that happened..that was a typo..

any info on the sound i might get from that little creature??

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Anyway, if it were my money, I'd stay away from that bass. Danelectro's aren't really built to be customized like that. Plus, a stock Dano should be less money, and nothing he did to his increased the resale value of it IMO.

5. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    You can buy a new 63 Dano for less money:
    http://danelectro.com/bass_ls_aqua.html

I dig the Dano sounds -I have 2 DC basses, 1 with rounds, 1 with TI flats and they're extremely cool. I wouldn't want them as my only basses, but as another arrow in the quiver, they rock!

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Several years I cobbled together a similar instrument from a Dano RI U3 body and a Longhorn neck:

[​IMG]

I disagree, I've modded quite a few since the '60s.

7. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    it certainly wouldent be my only, or main bass. im interested in the 3 pickup design, wich i obviously wouldent want on my main bass..

did they ever come stock with 3 pickups..? the one posted above looks like its out of a factory, but you said you put it together..did you do the pickups or what?

8. allotabass

allotabass Guest

9. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    Remind me not to lend you any gear :D

10. allotabass

allotabass Guest

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Thanks, like I said it's a Dano RI U3 body and a Longhorn neck.

The U3 is a 3 pickup guitar and the Longhorn is a bass. I had to modify the neck pocket on the U3 body by widening it just a little to fit the Longhorn bass neck and I also installed the bridge from the Longhorn but otherwise it was a snap.

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The materials used were pine, poplar, brazilian rosewood, steel, aluminum, iron, brass, copper, nickel silver, fiberboard, and paint. Nothing extraterrestrial was used.

I have several early '60s Dano/Silvertones and the necks have never required adjustment. One was even defretted by a previous owner more than 15 years ago (that's when I got it) and the fret slots were never filled in. Even that neck is still as straight as the others.

Nor have I had any of the issues that you report.

The recent Dano RIs I've owned all have trussrods adjustable at the heel of the neck.

13. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida

I meant that they don't have a big enough pocket for a Fender type neck. You might have modded a Dano to fit a Fender neck and routed it properly, but who knows how the bass in question's mod's were made; I wouldn't trust it for the money he's asking.

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    My '65 Dano/Silvertone has zero issues.
    Note truss rod adjuster hole in stock metal nut:

danobass_3.

Gratuitous pics :bassist: :D :
    danobass_1.

15. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    :D

I could never hate a little Dano. They're far too loveable.
    For the record, I've never had any of that stuff happen either, and my DCs have truss rods - though I never needed it till I swapped from 45-105s to TI flats.

They're cheap, fun, cool looking, and have a unique "character" sound.

16. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    What are you using for strings on that lovely bass, Jim?

17. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    I luv em

18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

Sorry, but there is no adjustable trussrod on that instrument. That hole is for the little screw that holds on the aluminum nut.

19. wouldnt it be really neck heavy?

20. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    so overall they are/were made to be cheap instruments?

i just thought itd make a fun toy, but doesent sound worth the money at all..