What do you think?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Mar 14, 2005.

1. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I am interested in buying a new bass for all types of music.From Incubus type stuff to heavy Deftones/Tool music to Jazz or Funk.I have one four stringer listed but I'm not too pushed on string numbers.

• Geddy Lee
    • Roscoe Beck 5
    • Lakland 55-02/01
  2. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I would have to say to go with A Fender Jazz Deluxe MIA they are awesome basses , extremely versatile I promise you will love it deffinately go try it out. I also just recently tried the EB Bongo and thought that was a pretty sweet bass so you might wanna try that out aswell.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I second the deluze jazz. I have one and Iuse it for just about everything.
  4. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003

A Fender jazz is a bass for everything, its a good compromise in quality/price/resale value.
    Never tried a bongo tho, but i still think that in 10 years, a jazz will still have a good sale value :)
  5. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Hmmm maybe so.Not the Lakland?!?I thought the roscoe would get some look in also
  6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    GET A 5-STRING!!

....you'll be wanting one in 3 months anyway!
  7. i say both the beck and the lakland over a MIA J. I'm partial to the Lakland.
  8. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Hmm ya thanks guys.Keep it comin!
  9. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    MIA Jazz Deluxe V. Great 5 string! Great tones.
  10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'm not a big fan of Fender 5's or MIA Fenders.

But if versatility is your bag, I'd definatly go with a Lakland 55-02. You can dial in any tone you want of it! I have a 44-02, and I prefer it over any other 4 string on the market save a 4-94.
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1 Lots of tone options on those. Great neck feel, too.
  13. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Cheers!Is the 55-02 worth the extra money from the 55-01
  14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Roscoe Beck 5. Probably one of the best basses Fender makes... PERIOD. I love active basses, but I'm really debating on getting this passive bass because of all of the tonal options.

For the price there is no better value than the Geddy Lee. It's a jazz bass.. can't go wrong with that. The good thing about starting with a passive jazz bass is that you have so many options to really create your own signature sound and with the price you can do it without breaking the bank

Laklands are great instruments and the 5502 is definitely an upgrade on the 5501. Had a 5502 just didn't bond with it. Can't tell you anything bad about it. Sounded great, played great, sat in the mix well, just wasn't my thing. If you buy the 5501 you are really gonna need to change the electronics.