1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you work for?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Oct 28, 2009.

1. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    for money, that allow me to live and eat, my familly and I, playing music, leave the house for holidays, etc.. And for all that, i'm here each morning at work. If one day i win lottery, i stop working :D

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Seems right now I can work to cover my expenses (bills) and pay rent. I dont make enough money to save anything, I pretty much just barely scrape by, but I have practically everything I need, my own place, my own car, an amazing girlfriend, clothes on my back, food to eat, beer to drink and bud to smoke. Life is pretty good right now. Yeah 2009!

3. A man after my own heart.

I work because nobody will pay me enough to live at the standard of living I want for doing nothing.

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Paycheck. EOM

5. im a college student i work so i can eat and enjoy the occasional beer or date with my girl.

6. +100 on going to work to pay bills, rent, etc. I know someone who ended up having to sleep & live in her van for several weeks, I don't want to end up in THAT place myself. I make enough to have some left over to add a bass, gear, etc. now and then, as well as photography stuff and the occasional sf book, as well as put aside money every paycheck to go into the emergency fund/retirement fund/bass gear fund. I LIKE being able to stay fairly warm in the winter...and being able to take regular showers, wash the clothes, etc. No, I don't love my job, but I don't hate it either; if I ever won the lottery, or got a job offer for a job I would like better, I'd be giving notice to the hotel I work at the next day....

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Lady Kayri, do you make decent money working at your hotel? Ive been thinking about finding a job at a nearby hotel or something. I want to be a bellhop!

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I enjoy my job... the people there are all the motivation I need.

But the paychecks are nice for paying down student loans and buying a house one day.

9. Maids here get between $9 to $11 an hour, plus tips (not a lot of tips, people just don't think of tipping maids the way they do waitstaff) depending on seniority. Our most senior maid makes $about $13 an hour. We work 6 days a week during full season, some hotels work their staff 7 days a week. They get in an average of 35 hours a week during that time period, sometimes more, sometimes less. We're closed 2 to 3 months out of the year - no business at a seaside resort hotel in winter, especially when it's cold, windy, and snowy outside! Some of the other places here pay more per hour, or pay per day; but they are normally not open as long as the hotel I work at is. We don't have bell hops, so can't address how much that pays; probably like waitresses not a lot as they'll expect you to make a fair amount in tips. You'd probably be better off working the front desk; a lot of places prefer to have men working the late evening / mid shifts. If you are at all 'handy around the house' you might also look at being hired as maintenance staff. Groundskeepers (take out garbage several times a day, clean up around the outside of the hotel, take care of the pool, etc.) make about the same here that maids do, and often end up getting pressed into service as bell boys. We also have our own laundry; the head of the laundry makes $13 or so an hour and normally puts in 35 to 40 hours a week; her assistant makes $10 an hour for the same number of hours most of the time. Some hotels here have pretty big turnover every year; others, like the one I work at, do their best to keep you on if you work out well; this is my 19th year as head housekeeper, one of the maids has been here 25 years, and most of them have been working for us 10 or more years. Even so, we still have turnover every year. Now, ours is a family owned hotel; started 47 years ago and still being run by the same family. Things are a lot different if you're working for a chain hotel, or if the staff is unionized. What it's like in your area of California I can't guess. Hope this info is of some help, anyway.

It never hurts to make the rounds and put in applications, anyway. Just make sure you get an idea of what the normal salary range is. I had one applicant about 15 years ago who said on her application that she wanted to be paid at least $15/hr; at that time, that was more than what yours truly was making as 'executive housekeeper.' Needless to say, that application got shunted into the 'reject' pile without even an interview - and when the unemployment office called to see if that person had actually put in an application with us, I told them "Yes, but she said she wants a minimum of $15 an hour, and none of our chamberpeople make that much." (I should explain perhaps that - here in NJ anyway - if you're on unemployment, if you haven't found a job in a certain length of time and aren't expecting to be called back to work when the season starts up again, the unemployment office wants to know where you've been looking for work, where you've put in applications, etc. If you aren't looking for work, you can lose your unemployment benefits. Some people don't really want to look for work until their benefits run out, so they'll put in applications but will put stuff into the application that they know will get them rejected - unrealistic salary demands, saying they have to have weekends off (doens't happen for housekeeping staff at hotels that are open on weekends!), very narrow working hours, etc. That way they can be sure they won't be offered a job. Yep, if you refuse a job, you can lose your unemployment benefits, too. So the unemployment department investigator found my answer very interesting...) May be a bit off topic (what else is new in Off Topic?) but hopefully potentially useful to anyone currently looking for a job....

10. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I work to pay taxes so everyone on welfare gets their check on time

11. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    The sarcasm, it oozes.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I work to live. It's just a means to an end.

13. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    I work so family can live indoors , eat well , be entertained and save enough so one day I can retire young enough to pursue hobbies and adventures.

And so I can stay out of jail by paying my child support .

14. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

ah Money.... Life's Lubricant.
    ...that and olive oil.:ninja:

15. AnchorHoy

AnchorHoy

Dec 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    /\ This /\

I flat-out hate my current job, and haven't had one that I truly enjoyed since the majority of manufacturing industries were systematically destroyed in the US, by Wall Street and the arrogant swine that propagate that mentality

Nevertheless, keeping a roof over your head costs money and so does decent food

My personal satisfaction comes from creative work, like music and woodworking. Neither of these will provide a decent living for me, or most other people for that matter, so.....

Work Sucks, but I need the Bucks

16. so that when i retire the refrigerator box i live in and the dog food i'm eating are name brand....

17. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I have a chronic eating disorder.

18. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    So that my wife and I can do things like going away to Big Bear Mountain this weekend to get drunk and stupid dressed in Liederhosen for Halloween/Oktoberfest and not care how much the bar tabs total up to.

I'm also saving up for a Wauntid back tattoo.

19. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I work for the kids on the gymnastics team because I love them all. I don't get paid much, but it sure is rewarding!

The other work I do I don't get paid for. But my family has a clean house and meals to eat :) So I do it for them.

20. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    To keep up with the Joneses (MJ5150). :D

j/k

I actually work because I love my job. I enjoy working with my hands and can be quite satisfied when I open an oven door and see a deck full of properly proofed golden brown loaves of bread. I like that I can call myself a baker (even though I've only been at it for a few months).

The paycheck is nice; pays the bills so I can spend my off time chatting it up on a bass forum. The prerequisite bass, amp and effects are just decorations (at the moment). I also like the roof over my head and the sweet 14 year old Honda in the "driveway".