1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What does Chris Brubeck use?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cassius987, Apr 13, 2010.

1. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Chris Brubeck plays a fretless Rickenbacker 4001 with some kind of black nylon strings but I have no idea what they are--I'd love to try a set if I could find them. I'm concerned to try any of the sets available though because the gauges are always HUGE! Most Ric nuts don't fit bigger than .050''-.060''-.085''-.105'' in my limited experience........

A couple examples of Brubeck's playing:

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    That looks like an early 70s 4001. The neck pickup is a Rickenbacker toster pickup. The bridge is some sort of jazz pickup with an aftermarket surround. The headstock has been modified with new tuners and a string tree. The headstock is missing the TRC and it has been painted black and it looks like it has binding. As per the strings they look like the nylon coated strings. My old 1968 4001 had a set of them on it when I bought it in 1973. They are actually round wound strings with a flat tape coating. As per the nut it is very easy to expand the slots a little bigger if you need to. Also replacement nuts are just a few dollars if you ever need to replace one.

3. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    I am a roundwound string player. I don't really know which flats have lower tension. But I was able to put pretty much any brand of strings on all of my different Rickenbackers without a problem.

5. Could they be Rotosound black nylon flats?

If you're worried about the string tension and gauge size of this set, get the six string set and use the upper 4 strings, which would be 50-65-75-100. I've done this with my 5er and used the 135 as my B. The tension, IMO, is lower due to the tuning down of the strings.

I love the way these feel. Been playing them for months like this and occasionally swap out the B for the 115 just for kicks.

6. wow!!! that guy can move. great chops. nice clip!

7. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    What's the tension like when you are tuned up to regular GDAE pitches on the 50-65-75-100 gauges? A 50-65-90-115 set would be fairly balanced, I just worry it'd be too much tension.

8. GDAE on these strings are light as they're supposed to be the strings for CGDA.

They are extremely light but not flabby like well-done spaghetti. My action is kinda middle of the road, not real low but not real high and tuned GDAE with the 50-65-75-100 it seems like I only have to barely touch a string and it resonates.

Very light touch, IMO.

9. masterfader87

masterfader87

Jan 18, 2010
    Damn! Those guys are awesome i dig it so much. he GROOVES!

10. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Which are the floppiest? The A/E strings or the G/D strings?

+1, Chris Brubeck is my favorite Rickenbacker bass player and one of my favorites in general. You can check him out on a lot of the Brecker Brothers albums.

11. I haven't noticed any significant difference in which is floppiest.

If you're serious in looking at these, buy the 6 string set, trim them with about an extra 1" or so and if you don't like them, I'll buy them from you.

If you like them, trim the 1" extra off and smile. I think the 6 string set is like $8 more than a 4 string set.

12. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I saw Chris Brubeck 20 years ago with the same axe. Of all axes to sound like an upright. Wonderful playing also.
    Thanks Cassius for putting this up.

13. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Brubeck saw a post about himself at the RIC forum and posted that he uses Rotosound TruBass 65-75-100-115 strings. Straight from the source!! OT, but he also said he's had the same Rickenbacker 4001 since 1969 or so, and indicated that the headstock mod (black laminate top) was due to some sort of accident several years back. Some other juicy tidbits besides these too but you can guys can check it out for yourself if interested.

14. Awesome.

He's the only guy that I've confirmed uses these specific strings.

I'll have to go check that thread out.

Thanks.

15. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Tarrbot, how does your 4003S5 like those strings in terms of nut and bridge saddle fits? Aren't they a bit bigger than what it's used to?

16. I haven't noticed it being bigger (or an issue) on the saddle but I haven't paid that much attention to it.

I previously opened up the nut a little on the B for a different set of strings that were .135 so I haven't seen an issue with these strings either.

Other than the B on the nut, that's all I've seen.

Offer still stands. Get a set, trim them a bit long to see if you like them and if you don't, I'll buy them from you. I will need a set for either playing them on the 4003S/5 with the intended strings in the intended places or I will put them on my ABG to play.

Not that I *need* a new set of strings but I *want* another set. I'm digging the black nylons more than I thought I would.

No rush on this either. You want to play them for a few months, I'm OK with that. I just got a house with a big money pit in the back yard in the form of a pool so I'm in no hurry to be shelling out money for fun items like new strings. :)

17. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Follow up, I have had a luthier set up my 4001FL with the strings Brubeck uses and they are so wonderful. Great, punchy when going in direct but that upright-like sound is always there when needed.