Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by I.M. Noone, Jan 31, 2006.

1. I.M. Noone

I.M. Noone

Oct 7, 2005
    When I flip my Hi-Flyer's p'up selector to the middle position, the volume drops dramatically, though plenty of signal makes it through when it's flipped to the bridge OR the neck pickup (volume is roughly equal on each). Is this a soldering problem or maybe a bum switch? :confused: Thanks.

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    if this occurs over a wide spectrum of frequencies, i believe your pickups are out of phase. you'll have to open the back, and swop around the connections for one of the pickups around. im assuming no coil spiltting or whatever here.

problem could also be one of the center lugs grounding out wrongly. this is quite rare.

if the volume drops, but not dramatically, or only for certain frequencies, it could be the placement of the pickups.

im betting on the out-of-phaseness tho.

3. I.M. Noone

I.M. Noone

Oct 7, 2005
    Thanks - out-of-phase is definitely a possibility as one of the pickups was recently installed. Do you know of a simple diagram I can follow to make sure I re-solder it right? Cheers.

4. take the pickup that was recently installed...and swap the two wires (if there are two)...if there are 4 wires, we'll need to know what kind of pickup it is, because wire colours are not standard amongst pickups.