1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What does squier "duncan designed pups" mean?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RBX4, Jan 9, 2012.

1. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Cuz these pups are off the chain??!! :)

2. FArfel

FArfel

Nov 23, 2011
    I believe it means that they were made by Seymour Duncan.

3. It means exactly as the name implies. They were designed by Seymour Duncan.

4. Are they made in house by Squier (Fender)? Under license perhaps? I agree with the OP, they do sound nice. The ones on my VM Jag are powerful.

5. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    What should I replace these pups with if I ever have to? Duncan q pounders? I need to know?!

6. Designed by Duncan.

Then manufactured by whatever lowest-bidder factory they were outsourced to, within whatever vague mechanical and electrical tolerances that factory is able to stay within, and (hopefully) with the worst mistakes caught by whatever QC system they may (or may not) have in place.

And, yes, I have Squier VM Jazz fretless and like it.

7. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    They're based on Antiquitys, IIRC.

That said, they're awesome pickups, I wouldn't change 'em.

8. I'm curious to know why you'd have to replace them? Fender obviously had them designed specifically for that bass so they should be a great match.

9. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Meaning way in the future when they get old, you know what I mean?

10. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    I won't but good to know down the line everything does get old n dies, lol! Thanx sir

11. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Why change them?

12. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    I'm not man just asking for future purposes!

13. JakeAndAirwaves

JakeAndAirwaves

Jun 3, 2011
    TX
    They're the cheaper version of Seymour Duncan pickups. My jag has them and they're everything I need and more. They're great. No need to change.

14. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    No, it doesn't work that way, they don't go to the lowest bidder. They would also have pretty strict design parameters. They have a set manufacturer in Korea that makes these. Otherwise they could just buy some import pickups and put their name on them. But they wouldn't be made the way they want.

Same with EMG Selects which are made by G&B Pickup Co, or the import Kent Armstrong pickups which is made by Dong Ho Electronics. Another pickup maker in Korea is WooSung Chrous. WSC makes a lot of the pickup covers that companies in the US use.

15. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    They did a hell a job!