1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what does the master tone actually do ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PATTY1, Mar 14, 2010.

1. PATTY1

PATTY1 Guest

Dec 28, 2009
    does it boost the bass in one direction and or boost the treble in the other direction, or is it really a pickup selector ??

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Master Tone is the god we worship and the nirvana we strive for. :p

3. mat b

mat b

Dec 21, 2005
    Albuquerque, nm
    I think that it's just a band pass filter? I'm not really sure but I believe from what I can physically hear on a passive bass, that the high frequency range is allowed to come through more when it is turned up. Tone all the way up equals the true sound of your bass (all frequencies are allowed to pass) and passive electronics. I'm sorry if I'm wrong or if I may have confused anyone...

4. atheos

atheos

Sep 28, 2008
    Tampere, Finland
    It's basically just a lowpass filter with adjustable frequency. In other words, if it's all the way up it does nothing to the tone and cuts the high frequencies when turned all the way down.

Ps. Tech nerds; yes, I know it does *a little something* even when turned up but let's not get into technicalities now ;)

5. Mat's got it right, I think, it's just a treble cut.

6. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    About twenty things in my rehearsal space have a knob labeled "tone" or "master tone". Which explains my sarcastic comment up top. Please be much more specific.

7. You're thinking of a tilt EQ.

Are you talking about the tone control on a bass, or a control on a pedal or amp or something?

The tone control on a bass is nothing more than a capacitor with a pot to vary how much signal it receives.

As you roll down the tone knob, the capacitor cuts more of the high end. There is no change to the low frequencies.

8. PATTY1

PATTY1 Guest

Dec 28, 2009
    ok, so basically a treble cut right

9. PATTY1

PATTY1 Guest

Dec 28, 2009
    i'm talking about the master tone on a bass, right now i have active pickups and keep everything in the middle unless i want to add more bass or treble, but i guess with passive pickups you run the master tone full only allowing you the option of cutting the treble

10. Yep.

But I'm confused. Shouldn't that be obvious if you've ever tried playing around with the tone knob?

11. somewhat

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020