what does the push pull pot on a Rickenbacker 4003s do?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Will_420, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Will_420

Will_420

May 7, 2021
    New York
    Hello all I am looking for a bit of info on what the push pull pot on my Rickenbacker 4003s does. Does having it pulled out give you more of a 4001 tone?

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Yep, that’s basically it. There are some subtle variations due to differences in pickup architecture (toaster versus hi-gain) and number of winds on the coil, but those are nuances.

Will_420 likes this.
  3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Specifically it engages a small capacitor in series with the bridge pickup that cuts out a large chunk of the low-end of that pickup. This capacitor was hard-wired in 4001 basses, and was partially responsible for the uniquely aggressive mid-forward blended pickup tones that you hear in a lot of classic Rick tones. The capacitor eliminates some of the phase cancellation in the mids common to most blended dual pickup tones. Modern Rick pickups are wound much hotter than 4001 pickups, so the effects are a bit different but still get in the ballpark.

4. Will_420

Will_420

May 7, 2021
    New York
    cool, thanks!

5. Will_420

Will_420

May 7, 2021
    New York
    sweet, thank you for the help! I really love the tone with the capacitor engaged, that more aggressive tone rocks. Happy playing!

6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree- I pretty much always have that capacitor engaged when playing my Ricks!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021