1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Fernades Bass is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Distorted Viola, May 7, 2010.

1. Distorted Viola

Distorted Viola

May 7, 2010
    I just bought a Fernandes bass identical to the one attached (expect mine is metalic blue). I picked it up on Craigslist for $50.00. It plays really well. I can't find out what kind of Fernades Bass this is. The closest I can find is a Fernades FRB-40. However, all the info for that model is in Japanese so I don't know if the US model was called something different.

It has a bolt on neck and P/J pickup config. One tone, two volume controls.

The serial number is: FG02041027 (if that helps)

It sounds and plays great (for the money).

I'm just curious as to what model it is, so if anyone knows please shout it out.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    Gravity?

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  4. Distorted Viola

Distorted Viola

May 7, 2010
    I thought it might be a Gravity as the shape and the headstock are the same. However, what makes me think it might be something else is that the pickup configuration is different. Mine has the P/J config (precision type split pickup in the middle and jazz bass type pickup at the bridge). All the pics I have seen of the gravity seem to have two jazz bass type pickups. That's why I'm confused.

Update: I have just seen pics of Gravity basses with the P/J config. But these seem to all have active electronics and come with four knobs (two volume, one tone and a blend). Mine has passive pickups and only three knobs (two volume and one tone).

The person I bought it from didn't know much about it... it was a gift from an old boyfriend. She thought it was about 6 years old (maybe more).

The mystery continues.

Thanks for the input.

5. Distorted Viola

Distorted Viola

May 7, 2010
  6. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's called the FRB-40 when it trickles into America as well...

As far as I can tell it is not commonly sold domestically.

Here's an old listing for one...

7. Distorted Viola

Distorted Viola

May 7, 2010
    Great, thanks for the info and confirming the model.

8. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    No problem. Fernandes basses are great. I have an Atlas bass, which plays like a dream...

Still, gotta get rid of. Moving back to short scales.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Have you ever checked out the Corsairs?

10. Yakob

Yakob

Nov 15, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ugh, yes. I'm sorry, I have a strong distaste for those Samicks :scowl:. I'm heading in the direction of Musicmasters and Mustangs.

11. JMW

JMW

Mar 25, 2008
    I have an FRB 45; Here it is on the Fernandes Japan website:

http://www.fernandes.co.jp/products/fernandes_bass.html

I purchased it in Canada in 1988 or 1989 for Can $450, plus tax. I see them selling new on Ebay for about $700, but they sell for the yen equivalent of about $450 in Japan, from what I can tell. It has a medium-scale neck. Guitar players love it because of the slim neck and compact body. Because, I think, of the small, lightweight body, some low frequencies are missing. Also, it's not sonically ideal for slapping, but it's just fine for finger style and pick work. I used it exclusively in scores of concerts and club engagements over a five year period. It has never needed any major work, except a pickup replacement sometime in the nineties. Currently, I have a pickup from an MIM Fender Precision in the neck position and an inexpensive jazz-style pickup in the bridge position. I own some premium basses (Music Man, Peavey USA Cirrus, Fender Jazz and Fender Precision) , but I still use this bass from time to time, partly because it is so lightweight and comfortable, partly out of nostalgia. It always sits nicely in the mix.

12. pahom

pahom

Jun 3, 2012
  13. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    i think I have one of those as well, but mine is green.