1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What gear would I need for a live ableton looping performance?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nenko, May 15, 2017.

1. Nenko

Nenko

Apr 4, 2013
    Plovdiv, Bulgaria
    If I were to want to create a live electronic music looping performance with ableton live and use my bass in real time to record and loop basslines, what gear would I need?

I'm looking at the Akaii APC40 MkII for the full-on controls, faders, etc. However, it's not a legit mixer and I can't insert instrument cables directly. What would you recommend? I'm going to need 4-6 channels for digital drums and samples, two channels for bass (clean and w/effects chain), 2-3 mic/vocal channels and maybe a Yamaha Portable Grand MIDI keyboard input too. Should I use the APC as a mixer and get a separate sound card with multiple physical inputs?

I think I need specifically two things, one in which to insert cables and one in which to modify the sounds from them. Some people use a big Mackie mixer for everything, and then add a launchpad or similar for launching drums and samples. However, how would I connect the Mackie to my laptop to modify the sounds, add effects and send them back again? I want to load specific effects in a specific order in every channel that I want to be able to modulate physically as well as digitally. (For example different reverb/delay parameters)

My issue is the lack of jack/XLR inputs on the APC40 MkII and how it forces me to get a separate sound card/mixer/whatever. Also, I'm counting 12 channels here that I would need. What can I do to overcome this?

I'm looking at this one: Amazon.com: Mackie PROFX12V2 12-Channel Compact Mixer with USB and Effects: Musical Instruments

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021