1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What guitar pedals do you use for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CAMAKAZII, Jul 1, 2014.

1. CAMAKAZII

CAMAKAZII

Jul 1, 2014
    Hey guys and gals,

I understand that guitar pedals can cut out your lows (aside from delays, envelopes and such). But what I want to know is what guitar based pedals do you use for your bass rigs? I am looking to deck out my pedal board for as cheap as I can, without sacrificing too much quality and lets face it most of the time guitar pedals are cheaper. So if you know any you think aren't too bad on the lows post it :)

Thanks,
    Camakazii.

2. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Chandler tube driver, Ada flanger from the 700. Also an Mxr Stereo Chorus pedal. Oh yeah a Jordan boss tone clone.

CAMAKAZII likes this.
  3. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I have a Boss AW-3 that I use for guitar & bass--and prefer it for bass, but it does have a bass input & a guitar input--so it is made for both.

Other than that--I've tried my other guitar pedals with my bass, but I'm not sold on any of them.

CAMAKAZII likes this.
  4. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Boss hm2- great fuzz
    Mxr black label chorus
    Hardwire cm2- great natural valvey drive with great eq
    Ehx glove- awesome drive pedal.
    Ibanez weeping demon wah- superb wah with a low eq, amongst other adjustments
    Many and various delay pedals, not forgetting the oc2 and dod octoplus :)

In short- keep trying guitar pedals. You may just find something you'll fall in love with ;)

zazin and CAMAKAZII like this.
  5. Way Huge Pork Loin (overdive) & Swollen Pickle (fuzz).
    You may not like their sound, but they do more than OK in the low end department ;)

CAMAKAZII likes this.
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Some also like to blend the effects signal with a bit of dry bass signal to keep more lows, using for instance a Boss LS-2 pedal. Just another thought.

CAMAKAZII likes this.
  7. JensCambre

JensCambre

Feb 3, 2014
    Belgium
    Boss tr2 tremolo, tc electronic alter ego delay and corona chorus, cry baby 535q wah

CAMAKAZII likes this.
  8. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    MXR phase 90 works well for both.

CAMAKAZII likes this.
  9. all of my pedals are so called guitar pedals.

If a pedal doesn't work for both guitar or bass then I either modify it to do so or it doesn't go on the board.

10. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I think it would be easier to tell you witch pedals I have that are specifically designed for bass. Most of my pedals are not bass specific and work great on many instruments.

CAMAKAZII likes this.
  11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +1. Out of the 50ish pedals that I own only a small handful are bass specific.

CAMAKAZII likes this.
  12. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I forgot my evh phase 90, boss ce5, and I have been known to use a boss df2 and fb2 feedbackers. Fun!!!!

13. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Empress Compressor
    Empress Multidrive
    Empress Heavy
    Eventide Pitchfactor
    Eventide Modfactor
    Line6 M5

All of the above are not specific to either, but some are arguably guitar-centric.

14. EHX Electric Mistress. You get a flanger AND a chorus in one pedal. I'm pretty happy with the reverb/delay of the Earthquake Devices Dispatch Master too. Though I seem to recall that was a bit more than some of my other pedals.

15. Greedtone OD and Earthbound Audio Supercollider are my primary "guitar" effects. IMO, they both come to life on bass than on guitar but in saying that, with the right axe and rig, these pedals are devastating on guitar.

I would include my Boss BF-3 flanger but it has a separate input for bass so I don't think it applies to this topic.

16. I'll back you up there, they're both fantastic on either IMO.

IME, most *guitar* pedals that are low-end suckers can be easily modded by increasing the input/output & coupling caps to let more low end though. There has been few pedals I've had to do this to outside of dirt pedals though.
    Dirt pedals are a balancing act I find, some dirt boxes are fantastic on bass that sound a bit too woofy on guitar > one of the reasons us bassists like the Green Russian Muff but quite a few guitarists hate them.

El Raro likes this.
  17. sneakyblueberry

sneakyblueberry

Jul 1, 2014
    I recently switched to bass from guitar and use pretty much all guitar pedals for bass, for better or worse. Vox Wah > Digitech Whammy V > Boss AW2 > Guyatone OD2 (my favourite pedal ever) > Modded Boss SD1 or MT2 > EHX Holy Stain > Boss DD3. Sometimes with the Aphex Xciter. I really need to get some bass pedals or mods on these, immediate drop in low end when I click on overdrive and wah, but its not the kind of sound I use for a prolonged period so it works out fine. Whammy set to 2+ Octaves and lots of wet reverb on the Stain means I can pretty much be a guitarist in a post rock band :D

18. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    I use an MXR Micro Chorus. Sounds fine.

19. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    MXR Carbon copy
    Hardwire DL-8 and RV-7
    All sound great

20. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Currently Iron Ether Polytope, Fuzzrocious Grey Stache, Fuzzrocious Demon, Blackeye Effect Palmetto Boost, and EQD Dispatch Master. All great on both guitar and bass.