1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What happened to Marvin Tailpieces?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Jeremy Allen, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Does anybody have any information on the status of this company or the guy who runs it? I ordered a tailpiece at the beginning of last summer, my credit card was charged, they sent me an email saying it had shipped, and I never received anything. I've tried to contact him (is it Kevin?) multiple times via email and on TalkBass and I haven't heard a peep.

2. Chang

Chang

Nov 30, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I ordered a Marvin tailpiece approximately late August (2013) and it came promptly in the mail. I hope you are able to resolve this issue.

3. Sorry to hear that... i ordered one last month and received it on time.

4. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Good to hear! At least I might have some chance of actually receiving mine some day. I'll try contacting him again, confident that he's not in a coma in the hospital or something.

Thanks for your responses.

5. criley720

criley720 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Sarasota, FL
    I purchased a custom one today (Feb 2014) from Mr. Marvin, and was able to talk to him on the phone. Very nice guy!

Miglie likes this.
  6. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    He contacted me last month and said he was going over the emails from last year and stumbled on my complaints; said it was too late to issue a refund, but he could send me a check or send me two tailpieces (one that I had ordered, one free).

I think it's absurd that someone can have a business and be completely unreachable to a customer who gave them money; I can't tell what's worse, that he would have been ignoring me or that my communications were simply never read. To his credit, once he discovered the problem seven months later, he did what he could to make it right, and I accepted his offer of the two tailpieces. So the issue is closed, but I suppose I would recommend talking to him in person if you're going to order from him.

7. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Jeremy, I'm unclear about what happened. "It was too late to issue a refund, but he could send me a check or send me two tailpieces" Wasn't the check an offer of a refund?

I met Kevin at Bass 2012 in Copenhagen. He seemed like a super nice guy. We talked about the difficulty of exporting to Europe, and design issues such as adapting the product for 5-stringers. He's some kind of scientist or something by day. Not a music merchandiser or businessman. The tailpieces are a labor of love, and I don't think he makes any profit from it at all. When you are trying to sell a very niche product to a very niche market, it can be hard to always provide good customer service. Mistakes will be made. I'd cut him some slack. He offers what is by all accounts an excellent product, and has no hope of ever getting rich off the idea. True though, that it's unacceptable to be out of touch for so long with an unhappy customer. Perhaps he should make an arrangement with a distributor. This would take the weight of managing sales, CS, and shipping off his shoulders, but at a high cost. As I know personally, going through a middleman pushes costs up, and can make the retail price unrealistic in a market such as this.

I'm glad things seem to have been resolved!

8. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    The purchase was made on a credit card, and after 90 days you cannot get the charge refunded. That's what he meant.

Although I'm a college professor now, I have worked in retail and I do operate my own one-man online business (selling my CDs) for which I'm required to read the emails as they come in and process the orders just as Kevin does. I would be mortified to think I had missed so many efforts by a customer to contact me after I had taken their money. There's not really any way to spin it as being OK; all that can be done is to make it right as far as is possible, and as I said Kevin did so. So, again, "we're cool," and I won't order from him again without speaking on the phone. That's all.

Miglie likes this.
  9. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Jeremy,
    Yes, very hard to explain what happened, and not excusable. I also sell online and try very hard to provide the best service possible. To not do so just kills your brand! Did Kevin give any reason for this mishap? It's hard to imagine that anyone would intentionally snub a customer on a small purchase like this. Nothing to gain and lots to lose...

10. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    He said the Post Office lost several orders in the mail. I hope he was able to get the insurance on those shipments, although it might have been too late.

11. Jeremy,

If you're looking to sell that second tailpiece, let me know. I'm in Bloomington. Been interested in the Marvin tailpiece for a while.

chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.