1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Happened to Prog Rock?!?!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wolf7883, Apr 14, 2010.

1. wolf7883

wolf7883

Jul 22, 2009
    Naples FL
    Well- There it is...What happened?:confused:

We used to have these musicians that were tops making these incredible groups like Emerson,Lake and Palmer, Rush, King Crimson, Pink Floyd etc. What happened to the genre. Where are the GREAT rock musicians that love indulging their skills to their fullest?

Now there is The Mars Volta, Tool---Every 5-6 years or so:rollno:...and then it gets really meager as far as progressive goes...Dillinger Escape Plan was cool but it's more hardcore/punk than progressive.

Maybe I'm living under a rock...Shout 'em out if you know 'em...Who are the progressive bands of today??? And if you don't know or can't find any...Why are they all gone???

2. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Porcupine Tree...they don't push the 'musicianship' aspect to it's limits like The Mars Volta etc, but they put out some pretty interesting stuff. I haven't heard a lot of their newer albums... but Lightbulb Sun is a good place to start.

3. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Ha! That question applies to just about every genre: "What happened to _________ in today's music?"

4. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    Porcupine Tree is great

Baroness is progressive heavier rock, FANTASTIC band if you like the heavier side of prog

5. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Coheed and Cambria are doing some proggy stuff. You can here Rush in some of their songs, I think they've even got one called 2113.

Opeth and Gojira do some nice Progressive Death Metal, but I suppose you need to like the death metal side of them to really enjoy that kind of music.

6. madrob

madrob

Aug 22, 2006
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    I really dig Litmus from the UK (prog/space rock)

7. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Katatonia is pretty cool

8. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Punk and the NWOBHM came about and people were tired of YES and ELP epic egos. I miss it too, but there are still quite a few real prog rock and metal bands out there. Watchtower out of Texas are about to release their first recording in two decades. They have a new tune up on their myspace page and it rips if you are into Rush inspired metal.
    It broke my heart when Rush got mullets and Flock of Seagulls hairdos (hairdonts), Don Johnson clothing and discovered the Police. Egads. That pretty much solidified it. King Crimson at least got Adrian Belew and went weird in a modern guitar based context.
    Asia was pretty boring too. Yes got the Don Johnsons also.

9. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    umphreys mcgee is pretty prog rockish allthough they are a jamband

10. wolf7883

wolf7883

Jul 22, 2009
    Naples FL
    That sounds interesting to me! I gotta check that out

11. Protest the Hero, Between the Buried and Me.

12. Those bands happened largely before the advent of video games and MTV.

Nowdays it's short attention spans and wanting quick results.

Dosen't happen in progressive rock music.

Enjoy the past. It won't return. Ever.

13. wolf7883

wolf7883

Jul 22, 2009
    Naples FL
    LOL. Yea..Asia-No good! But King Crimson did carry on for quite a while,,,in fact I just looked and they went on into the 2000's...But in the 90's I guess they had Tony Levin on bass who was awesome!!

14. wolf7883

wolf7883

Jul 22, 2009
    Naples FL
    What a bleak outlook!!! :meh:

15. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    uhhh i really disagree that it wont ever return. in fact id be hard pressed to say it never left. you just arent looking in the right places. yes, prog rock is most likely a think of the past as far as "popular music" goes but people will always be writing new material and be inspired no matter what

16. No Transatlantic love? Spock's Beard? You want 30 minute epics, Transatlantic is your band. :)

Big second, third, fourth on Porcupine Tree. Although Steve tends to be a bit melancholic in his writing, his drummer is a monster. But Gavin only appears on albums from 2002 on. I'd actually say start with In Absentia rather than Lightbulb Sun. though.

17. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    There are LOTS of truly progressive bands today, like Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, The Flower Kings, Transatlantic...

18. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    checking out some of the suggestions: Litmus brought "meh" to a whole new level to me. Sounded just like another generic british punk rock band. Baroness was really cool, I'll be purchasing some of their stuff in the future.

19. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Chris Maitland was a beast too, he just showed up in a pop prog rock era. His drumming on Even Less and Hatesong is amazing.

And, to the OP, you've got to check Porcupine Tree. I recommend Fear of a Blank Planet and Stupid Dream.