1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what head is the better deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dersali, Dec 14, 2018.

1. dersali

dersali

Apr 25, 2011
    I have a hydrive 410 and am selling my LH1000 for 1 of these 2:
    Ampeg SVT4 Pro (my head and $400) used and its from 2005
    Genz Benz GBE1200 ($600) used from 2011

I'm liking what i've read on here about the GB but just wanted to make sure which might be best for longevity. I play heavy rock and metal and keep having tube issues with my Harkte.

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Google each amp and "problem" or "problems" After reading related threads on about each amps problems...if they are about equal, base the decision on which amp you think sounds best (best to play both amps if you can).

The GBE1200 is my favorite amp out of a fairly large collection. I am pretty sure it is a very robust and reliable design. The only drawback is it is heavy by today's standards, and also its natural voice is pretty HiFi. You can dirty it up by wanking hard on the tube channel gain and EQ controls and blending the tube and FET channel. Rather than channel switching, I prefer running the amp with the channels blended like this. I find it pretty easy to get a big thick low end with a bit of grind and bloom that remains articulate and focused. I love the way this amp sounds and feels, but you may not. The amp has a lot of power.

Never played an SVT4-Pro. But I own vintage SVTs and an SVT8-Pro...awesome amps! With sufficient knob twiddling you can get the GBE1200 in the ballpark.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The SVT 4 is sugnifigantly heavier than the GB.

@agedhorse might be able to shed some light on the 1200.

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Per their respective webpages: SVT4-Pro = 39.5lbs and GBE1200 = 42lbs

saabfender likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That's shocking! The SVT 4 doesn't feel much lighter than an all-tube SVT to me.

But I stand corrected. I didn't realize GB made anything that heavy either.

My apologies. Carry on.

Wasnex likes this.
  6. dersali

dersali

Apr 25, 2011
    Ya I've done tons of research and sadly can't play em...the GB is in another province and just wanted to see which was a better deal...sadly to the GB was a trade in last January so sitting @ long and mcquaid for almost a year. It would be shipped to me and the ampeg is in another city.

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Genz Benz. Does a whole lot well. Built to last. Arguably one of the best heads ever made. Yes it's a tweaker but once you know how it works, no problem.

gelinas666 and Wasnex like this.
  8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Comes down to taste. They are both beasts.

Al Kraft and Wasnex like this.
  9. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    The genz is probably a better modern rig, and is much easier to haul to a gig. But both are amazing heads.

Al Kraft and Wasnex like this.
  10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I find it very easy to dial in, but I love the amp's natural voice.

jeff7bass likes this.
  11. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    How much is your amp worth. Seems like you could get a svt 4 for not much more than what you have to give in cash.
    Here's one with 2 cabs and a warwick bass,
    Bass Amp, stack and Bass

12. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Genz Benz hands down. These were top of the line from a company that is known for producing many high-quality amps. A complete steal at the prices these are going for now.

Afc70 likes this.
  13. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    The one you dont have to pay for..:woot::roflmao::smug:

14. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    My preference would be the Genz Benz for sure.. powerful, modern tone & built very well.

15. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland
    IMO, the SVT4Pro is underpowered. Additionally, they are notorious for having solder joint issues.

AlexanderB and JohnnyChatter like this.
  16. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    GB, otherwise keep the LH1000.

17. gelinas666

gelinas666 Guest

Sep 8, 2009
    Genz Benz for me with the choices you've given.. :thumbsup:

18. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    The ampeg SVT4 PRO has a whole ton of options on it. I would call it more along the lines of a professional touring amp than some other models. It is an absolute tank.

GB amps are great too but I couldn't get their tone into ampeg territory. I ended up going back to Ampeg, but that's a personal taste thing.

Stumbo likes this.
  19. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    I’m a fan of both brands, but I would pick the Genz, in this case.

20. dersali

dersali

Apr 25, 2011
    Thanks for the responses I'm ordering the GB tomorrow but still find it hard to sell my hartke

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021