1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What if your Mom was better than Jaco?...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Claymore, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Ok, hear me out. You can still contribute if your Mom has long since passed away. Mine has. But let's rewind to back when they were with us and for those of you who still have a living, breathing Momma, be thankful for what you have.
    But let's just say that one day, shortly after you started playing bass, your Mom decided to pick it up... and she just killed it. I mean within a matter of weeks, she was beyond anything that your young bass-playing mind could hope to comprehend.
    Angels cried for joy in heaven as she executed ridiculously complex rhythmic passages and laid down funk so nasty, it would make Bootsy blush. So, you've got a few different ways you could react...
    A) Decide that your Mom's interest in your chosen hobby has instantly made it uncool. "C'mon, Mom... This is my thing! Why couldn't you take up knitting or something?" and possibly give it up or
    B) Just come to terms with the fact that the person who brought you into this world also happens to be a bass demigod who you will likely always be in the shadow of.
    I know, I know... Asking the hard questions going into the weekend. But it was either this or another "what's the best bass for metal" thread so have at it.
    If there's another way you could see yourself reacting, feel free to add. :D

2. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Your Mom would want you to comment. FB47CF27-8C7C-4076-A998-4F4F54DF5F3D.jpeg

3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I would angrily confront her to ask why our family isn't richer.

FilterFunk, PWRL, jonro and 10 others like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I started playing bass as a teenager. Spanish, of course, I would have been pissed. "It's not fair!!!!" You know that incredibly stupid thing we all do until our late 20s by claiming everything is "not fair".

5. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I would play her rig when she was out playing golf. I would be unable to set her pedal knobs back where I found them. I would get grounded for my efforts.

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i would manage her career. i'd have a salsa band on the side.

7. ''show me mom''..Please.

8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Better at what, exactly?

I mean, OK, yeah...I'll play.

My mom can follow instructions - W
    My mom learned piano and she plays the same song exactly the same way each time - W
    My mom can take a joke without diving into a bender under a stranger's single wide - W
    My mom makes me merengue cookies - W
    My mom doesn't play bass guitar - L

Let me tally the scores. Mom wins 4-1!!!

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  9. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    My Mom didn't play bass but she did help me buy 2 amps so that was pretty kewl.

10. Smith357

Smith357

Jul 7, 2018
    OH
    My mom is better than Jaco.

11. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Well, than I guess I would’ve taken up knitting

FilterFunk, Helix and EatS1stBassist like this.
  12. We would be saying "Your mom only needed four strings".

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well played.

14. Thank you! I'll be here all week.

15. I would have stuck with the piano, let mom play bass, and we would harmonize together. My mom also had an amazingly good ear for harmony.

16. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    Does Carol Kaye have children?

17. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I’d take lessons from her

free

barrenelly, MrLenny1, Winton and 2 others like this.
  18. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    C) find a new hobby; not because it has become uncool but because I would set such high expectations for what I should be achieving that I could not make it through the beginner stages.

This is fact btw, my Mom is an accomplished artist and whenever I try to paint I start comparing my stuff to her work and end up disappointed. Not that I would trade it for the world; she is the only person who understands how I think and inspires me to push myself as an artist.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  19. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    If my mom was better than Jaco, she'd be half as good as me. And I'd be alright with that. :cool:

20. I'd steal her bass while she was sleeping on a park bench.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021