1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is appreigo for the bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by steve5224, Jan 19, 2012.

1. I've been seeing more and more of this appreigo on the bass and wondering what is it? Looks like scales but what are they and what could and how could they be played in a gig to make your playing sound better and not the normal routine?

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Do you mean arpeggio?

Definition: ar·peg·gi·o/ärˈpejēˌō/Noun: The notes of a chord played in succession, either ascending or descending.

3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    And while they can be strictly limited to chord tones, you don't necessarily need to interpret "the notes of a chord" from iiipopes' definition as only chord tones (i.e., the appropriate 1, 3, 5, and 7). An example of using an arpeggio to spice things up:

Over a CMaj7 chord in the key of G Major (i.e., the CMaj7 is funtioning as a IV chord):

C E G B D F# A. By playing a D Maj triad over the full CMaj7 chord, you've added the IV chord flavor with the F# and the 9 and 13 with the D and the A, respectively. All of these are diatonic to the key (G Major) and reflective of the IV chord, CMaj7.

If you're not ready for that type of theoretical leap at this point, try this progression, staying in the key of G Major:

GMaj7 Amin7 Bmin7 CMaj7 D7 GMaj7.

ascending over GMaj7: G B D F#, then up one fret to
    descending over Amin7: G E C A, then up two frets to
    ascending over Bmin7: B D F# A, then up two frets to
    descending over CMaj7: B G E C, then up two frets to
    ascending over D7: D F# A C, then down one fret to
    descending over GMaj7: B G D B.

Try to avoid using all 1 3 5 7s either ascending or descending - it's much more musical to mix them up for the sake of variety. But to start, it may be easiest to practice doing all chord tones (1 3 5 7) in the same direction until you get used to it.

4. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    [​IMG]

5. If you're a rock/pop/country/blues player the arpeggios are your best friends. They are the notes a chord is made of. Generally speaking, a bassline is made up primarily of the notes from arpeggios, called chord tones. These are the notes that define the chord and let the vocalist or horn players know what chord they're sitting on. An arpeggio is made up of notes from a scale, namely the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th. In the key of C the scale would be C D E F G A B C. Take the arpeggio from that, you have C E G B. In most instances the 7th note is not used as much as the other three notes. Thus C E G become the money notes. The B is often used on a descending run, moreso than on an ascending run. A rock solid bassplayer uses a lot of the money notes in his/her playing, particularly in a setting where there is no chordal instrument. I have played in a lot of jazz trios even where the pianist prefers the bass to outline the chords.

6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    ... man that over the top for nothing, only explain what a arpeggio is, no need to explain advanced stuff to someone who doesn't know what it is.

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The opening to "Badge" centers around an Amin arpeggio. Mist of the lone to "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" is arpeggios. Learn arpeggios and you'll start seeing them as the heart of most great bass lines.

John

8. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Yeah, I reflected after I originally posted the DMAJ over CMAJ7 bit (which I happen to consider "not normal routine"), and so I did add the much more simple example that you chose not to quote.

So, I actually brought something to this thread, didn't I?

9. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Badge, great example....top song. Yup.... Arps are one of your best friends as a bass player.

10. As a beginner, I would prefer to read something which may be beyond what I can comprehend at the moment to nothing. I can always ask my more musically literate friends about what I don't understand. I can read further posts that may explain a complicated one.

So thank you for your post.

11. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Blues and 50s music uses arpeggios a lot. So does a lot of modern music.

12. Lakland55

Lakland55 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    One of the first things that many instructors teach is the ability to learn how to play arps (for short), both to understand chord structure and individual notes with scales among many reasons.

13. jack_wantz

jack_wantz

Jan 20, 2012
    there are a lot of pdf books bass guitar related, if u can't fin,message me i will e mail u