Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is emo?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Jun 1, 2005.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I've heard the term for awhile now. Even though I hate labels, what exactly is emo? I was reading a glowing review for the new Jimmy Eat World recording in an older issue of Blender. (Finally catching up on my piles of magazines) and they said that they've been known as "the best emo band for awhile, but maybe it's time to take out the E word". I bought the CD, and it sounds like pop/punk/ rock to me. I liked it, but what makes what emo? By the way, if you haven't heard it, "drugs or me" is an AMAZING song.

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Check it

If you're interested in learning more, pick up the "20 Years of Dischord Box set"

And if you want more; do a search, this has been covered a couple of times before.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Music-related -> Misc.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Emo has already come and gone, IMO. The scene is full of hipsters and johnny-come-latelys who are more worried about who they're seen with at what show, what kind of name-dropping they can get away with, and how their hair looks, as opposed to enjoying the music.

As for the music, the crap that is labeled as "emo" today isn't fit to carry Sunny Day Real Estate's dirty laundry. RIP emo.

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    When I think emo, I immediately think of these bands: Hawthorne Heights, Taking Back Sunday, and The Used. All of which deserve to die horrible deaths for the mutilation they have caused to ear drums and to the minds of dyed-black, eye-length hair, baby-clothes (but with more anarchy! Woo!) teenagers that already sucked at life to begin with.

But I like Jimmy Eat World.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It's awful is what it is.

7. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    well, it's emotional metal. aka emo. but its not as gay as it sounds, imo, bands like sunny day real estate, giants chair, burning jazz, stuff like that are emo. and then there are the really retarded bands that try to be emo like good charlotte, yellowcard, and stuff like that.

8. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    that's what most people think of when the word "emo" is dropped.

standard formula for how emo lyrics are written:

--Run-o-the-mill middle class (not poor) guy has a steady girlfriend
    --Girl dumps guy
    --guy decides: "THIS IS THE WORST THING THAT CAN EVER HAPPEN!!! THE WORLD IS FALLING APART!!!"
    --Guy grows his hair out to about his nose
    --guy starts wearing tight sweatshirts and baggy pants that have obscure logos on them
    -- Guy writes lyrics roughly following the above capitalized proclomation
    -- guy makes a bunch of money
    -- guy writes even more lyrics saying how bad he has it, even though he's now living the high life, has girls falling all over him, and has actually gotten over his being dumped, and now has chicks falling all over him.

and on and on... :rollno:

9. Horrible music that no one should listen to. same goes for screamo

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Hmmm... emo isn't that bad when it's done right.

The only "screamo" type band I like is Cursive.

11. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Exactly. There are a lot of crap bands out there, more concerned with the scene than the music, but it's unfair to just dismiss the style of music as being lame.

Good stuff. :)

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Everyone defines emo differently and i think its kinda funny. According to a guy on urban dict., at the drive-in is emo. If tahts the case, i like some emo music, but i never considred them emo. OR emocore, hardcore, screamo post melodramatic rennasisance transient rock or w/we categories theyre using nowadays.

13. "Punk music on estrogen."

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while! Emo drives me crazy, it's all the kids around here want to listen to. When we do a show, nobody really gets into it because they all come for the Emo and we're just there basically because they couldn't find another Emo band to fill in.

14. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I was just listening to Mineral the other day and it's striking just how far emo has fallen during its time in the spotlight. All the stereotypical parts of modern-day emo songs are their:
    -soft-loud-soft dynamics,
    -nasal singing,
    -'dueling' guitar lines,
    -mid-tempo wall of bass and drums for the guitars to noodle off repetitve solos crescending into another chorus.

But it was actually very well done. The lyrics were self-effacing and lamenting as opposed straight-up mysoginistic. The guitars were musically competent and capable and not trying to pull off some half-assed radio-ready rock riff. It's kind of sad how all the johnny-come-lately jock kids have turned emotional venting and expression into melodrama, being self-absorbed and women-hating.

That's weird, when people I know talk about screamo they talk about City of Caterpillar, Antioch Arrow and Angel Hair....Guess it doesn't matter, but does show how convoluted this whole thing has gotten.

15. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well, I'm not really a screamo type guy. I just happened to run across Cursive, and really liked it.

16. Judge2003

Judge2003

Mar 26, 2005
    I never thought of Cursive as Screamo...

I also really enjoyed the band "Cave-In" songs like "Youth Over-rided" and "Devil's head pinata"

but in general, emo is latest trend for crappy bands to pass their music off onto

sure, not all of it is bad *cough* but it has all been done before and it's really tiresome

Emo/Hardcore(WORST)/Screamo have become the new 'garage band' entities

I honestly think that next to 'gangsta rap,' 'Hardcore' is the worst thing to happen to music

17. Bad Brains scream , are they emo??? I like emo if Bad Brains are emo.

18. One of the best things written today. :smug:

19. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well, Tim Kasher certainly screams... and most of the lyrics are rather emoish (Fantastic, but that doesn't mean they aren't emo). Whats missing?
    What about country music?