Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WHAT IS IT??? - Odyssey Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drjudd, Sep 25, 2004.

1. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam
    I came across this bass via email. Can anyone identify it?
    It has a metal disk inset in headstocks with an L.
    Owner claims it has a form fit case so I suspect it isn't must a high school woodworking project.
    Any help would be appreciated.

If the picture doesn't upload here is a full description.
    double neck guitar neck through.
    4 string bass
    6 string guitar
    looks like pbass pickups w/ white covers
    badass bridge

If you don't see a pic please email me and help me upload it.

thanks, drjudd

2. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam
    I have tried everything to miniaturize the pics of this double neck so I can post to the forum. Nothing works.
    I guess I will start over again if I can ever get a pic that is small and ask for your help. For now, relax.

drjudd

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

email it to me embellisher at gmail dot com and I will see about hosting it and uploading it for you.

4. embellisher

Here is a picture of the bass in question. Anybody know what it is?

[​IMG]

5. embellisher

bump

Anybody familiar with this maker?

6. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I remember seeing this on eBay a while ago.... but it was a while ago, so I've forgotten everything about it. Sorry. I'm interested in this too.

7. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    A Lado, maybe? It dosn't look UNlike some of his older stuff. I know his current headstocks have an eagle inlay on them, though. Hmm. May be worth checking oot. If it IS a Lado, it's probably a pretty nice twanger.

8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    look like an Odyssey to me..
    Canandian made in the 70's, in Vancouver I think.

9. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    It kinda resembles a ric. Especcially when comparing it to their guitars. But that's just an observation. I've never heard of ric making a double necked bass

10. Didn't John Turner have a double neck Ric at one point? I'm pretty sure I've seen Geddy Lee play one in an old Rush video, too.

11. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Ric actually made quite a few doublenecks like this (6string G + 4 string B), and yes JT has one. A lot of big names have played them and as far as double necks go the Rics are rather common (for an uncommon genre). It can be quite easy to find a Ric Double Neck, but damn near impossible to find one FOR SALE!!!! They do pop up on occasion tho. Although the shape of the body has some Ric flavor to it, there is very little else about this that says Ric to me.

12. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam

13. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    That is most certainly one of Attilla Balogh's Oddysey instruments, made here in Vancouver in the 70's.

My first bass guitar was made by him, and it looked exactly the same -but with only one neck of course. Very cool piece there. Hope you enjoy it!
    Harmony Central Oddysey bass reviews here:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Attila-Balogh/Odyssey-Bass-01.html

Laurence

14. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam
    :hyper: AND THE WINNER IS???? Laurence

I found another pic of an odyssey bass right here in the forums *guess you just have to know what to look for*
    http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/isodyssey1.html
    This one shows the metal inset disk on the headstock with an "L" like the ones on the doubleneck.
    Thanks to all for solving the mystery.

Judd

15. That bass you just posted is beautiful! It's like a PRS, but the body really fits the bass.

16. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    On a "legacy" kind of note, I know that Paul Iverson uses Attila's old (huge) belt sander for radiusing fingerboards (some on basses I've made as well) at his North Vancouver shop. Many luthiers here in Vancouver will have stories about him, and his guitars are still really cool. Sort of like Alembic stuff from way back.

LM

17. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam

Wow Smash, thanks for coming through with that. Now the anticipation mounts as to how mine is laid out. "scalloped" you say?? hmmmmm. could be interesting.
    I just want a guitar made by a guy named ATTILLA.

18. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam
    I'm noticing something about canada that I didn't know before. This is about the third mention of "renting" an instument, in particular a bass, from a store.
    This must be a common practice there, I don't remember it happening in the US and definetly won't happen here on Guam.
    Thanks smash for the input. I know mine won't be 'scalloped' but it sounds interesting.
    esta.

19. drjudd

drjudd

Mar 5, 2002
    guam
    Man, I'm really missin' out not living in the states. Not only can I cross the border for cheap prescr. drugs, but I can rent a new bass too????? Not to mention the backbacon and beer?
    I might be movin back to Wash. state yet.

20. Geddy Lee used to use one on the song Xanadu in the late 70's. It can be seen in the Exit....Stage Left video. He did actually use the guitar part of it on that song. :bassist: