1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the attraction to Trace Elliot amplifiers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alaskaleftybass, Nov 6, 2013.

1. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Glad you said that!!
    Marshalls smelled really good. The late '60s SuperBass & SuperLead 100 just had this great bouquet.

No fan so you just leaned over the vent in the top. Yummm!

2. ...and here I was thinking I was the only amp sniffer...

3. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp

Jul 15, 2012
    Laurel,DE.
    It seems that the green has everybody in a spell. I wanted to like them soooo bad but everytime I tried one I didnt like it.

4. ^^^^
    This is the whole reason why I like them before even playing through one.

In the late 90's when I just started playing guitar, I've always wanted to play bass, but never got around making the switch. So every time I walked into our local music store, I would check out the bass gear, and one day they got a load of TE gear in the store accompanied by a stack of catalogues. So I picked up a copy when went home reading the entire thing. It made such an impact on me and the color combination with the red stripes just struck me as being super cool.

From that time onwards I always wanted to have a TE rig. That was 15 years ago, but life got in the way and I finally got my own TE head just last week. Still don't have any old TE cabs with the red stripes, but I guess that'll have to wait as they're not readily available and even if they are, it's a PITA to have them shipped across the globe.:(

5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks Will and everyone else for sharing your stories. I would love to try a vintage TE next time I head for "the lower 48."

I hope other owners chime in :)

:bassist:

6. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    Groningen, The Netherlands
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I think trace Elliot lives from its great reputation from +20 years ago.
    When I started with bass playing, there was not so much to choose from as novadays. And trace Elliot was known as bulletproof bass-sound heaven.
    I went with it, too. Friend of mine bought a MK-V GP11 4x10 combo and removed the head from it to run it with his own 350SMX head. So I bought the combo head from him. Just 150 Watts, but the sound is sweeeeeeeeeet.
    I always say, TE is not made for everyone, I met a lot of bassists that wouldn't like the TE sound. In fact, TE heads do only sound right to me with the pre-amp shaping active. That's more or less a scoop function, but I have to admit, the best I ever heard.

I will never sell this head, but I would not buy any TE again. Have one, love it, but it's a bit of gone glamour with TE. Their products disappear, their marketing is nihil and the heads are outdated.
    In the local markets you see people still rely on the good name of TE and ask prices for products that are totally surreal.

Oh, I never heard or used their Valve stuff. Would like to, btw. The valve pre-amp in the SMX350 of my friend back in the days wasn't utterly convincing but their all-tube heads seem to be killer

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Okay that somehow sounds uh... Creepy;);)

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

:D

9. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Doggone bass players ask them a simple question and they always end up making me laugh........ smart alecks.... I'm enjoying this thread but it almost looks like it ran it's course...:D

10. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

I've got a vintage TE V4 all-tube amp.

Me likey da tone! Especially through my Berg NV610. 220 watts of yummy tube tone!

11. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    I did a European tour in 1987 with Bo Diddley and the backline many times was a TE. Sometimes it was a 15 and a 210 cab with one of their more powered heads but sometimes it was the 410 combo. I actually liked the 410 combo better than the larger rig.

Wally

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Attraction to Trace?
    Marshalls weren't green enough?

13. A trace head and 4x10 cabs is a real sweet spot in the TE sound chain. It can kick like a mule and yet still retain nice highs and fast responce. It sits in a mix very nicely