Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is the most expensive strings you have seen?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gabu, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I am just kind of curious. ;) Actually it would also be cool if you could tell what the most expensive strings you have tried are and if they were / are worth it?

2. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I got a set of Tomastik Jazz Flats for my jazz bass, definately the most expensive strings i've bought. I don't remember the price, but they were worth it. they'll last forever, and the sound is just what i needed.

3. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    Lemur Music has a set of strings made by Velvet for $299.00:eek:

Oh yeah, those are for upright bass.:D

4. Same with me!

However, they have lasted the longest, from any set of strings, I have ever purchased.

All Thomastik strings are spendie but, well worth it, in the long run!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, its totally INSANE.

One time, i spent 133 US DOLLARS ON A SINGLE 4 STRING SET OF ELIXIRS!!!! .

In comparison, a set of D'Addario XL's costs only 70 US dollars. But it is totally insane anyways compared to the "american prices". I'm gonna buy a truckload of strings from www.juststrings.com next, that will save me alot of money.

(and also, a standard MM Stingray costs 2900 US dollars new here in norway...:mad: )

Be happy for beeing an american!

-Erlend :bassist:

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I use those Velvet strings. Actually they have lowered the price, I paid over $300 when I got my first set.

Just think how I felt when the E string broke as soon as I strung the bass up and tuned it to pitch :eek: Velvet was kind enough to replace the whole set no questions asked.

To be honest, these are upright bass strings. Even the cheapest upright strings out there are $60 a set (and those totally suck). Most steel upright strings are about $100-200 a set street price. Gut strings like the Velvets start at $200 and I've heard of some that are over $400 a set.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've been buying all my strings from the US via the internet for about 4 - 5 years now! I get them from :

www.sheetmusicplus.com

So - a really good 5-string set used to cost me about £50 in England - but that same set from sheetmusic plus was about half that price - even including shipping, p&p etc. from the US!!

8. Bruce Lindfield

Of course, as has been mentioned already - by far the most expensive strings are for Double Bass.

So - the most expensive set I bought were Pirastro Flexocors at 168 Euros a set from :

http://www.polychord.com/englisch/index.html

But they were certainly worth it - sounded so much better on my EUB!! :)

9. Erland! Remember to check with your tax authorities before getting at ****load of strings from the US. I live in Denmark, and every time I've bought something from the US, I had to pay tax, VAT, fees and what not which ended up making the strings just as expensive as in DK.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Whenever I've bought sets of strings, sheetmusicplus have put a customs sticker on - saying something like "worth less than $30" and I haven't paid anything at all.

I suppose if you bought a load of sets together, then it would be hard to justify this?

Books/sheetmusic from the US don't attract duty either!

I find my string sets last 6 months+ - so I'm only buying individual sets occasionally - but I've never been charged duty on anything except a Parliament boxed CD set - where £12 was added -about 15 Euro?

11. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Here in the US, Pyramid strings are pretty expensive. A set of Pyramid flats from Just Strings is $50.49 usd. The five string set is $67.32. Probably worth it if you like them, they're not my cup of tea. An acquaintance of mine has them on a Rickenbacker 4001 V63, and he pretty much nails the McCartney sound, which is what he wants. Maxima Gold strings were pretty expensive while they were still availabl, but I never tried them.

But I think Erlend gets the prize.

Also, Erlend, what if a friendly TB'er mailed you some strings from the US? Would that avoid all that tax/customs/whatever?

12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Maxima Golds retailed for over $70 a set.
    I got some of the last sets the US distributor
    had 10 sets for $15 a set! They're good strings,
    but not worth $70 a set..

13. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Yeah Pyramid GOld Flats.....$48.99 after discoutn...before tax....yikes. I got LaBellas instead.:eek:

14. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    :eek: I just paid $50 US for 4 sets of XLs..

15. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Most expensive round wound strings are generally going to be exposed core strings.

Flat Wounds are generally going to last longer than Rounds so the price is more reasonable knowing this... however the most expensive "electric bass flats" have been mentioned ITT.

Acoustic Bass Guitar strings the same manufacturer as the flats mentioned are even more up there. They are Nylon wrapped with Round Wound phosphor bronze.

Getting into upright string pricing that is a whole other world... especially with the Gut wrapped strings. That is a totally different pricing structure all together, plus those strings are changed far less often than any electric bass / abg.

16. My Pirastro Oliv E string was about $145 for the one string! :D
    The TI Jazz Flats on my P bass are around 12 years old and show no signs of fading. They've done a lot of gigs.

17. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    +1

I use to think flats were expensive, that is, until I looked at how often you have to change them...;)

18. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I recently acquired an Azola EUB, and would enjoy hearing more about the characteristics of the Pirastro Flexocors that you find makes them particularly well-suited to EUB. :)

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

How do people keep finding these 10 year old threads to revive??!??!