1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is the right offer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Outshined91, Sep 17, 2019.

1. $600

19 vote(s)
    16.1%
  2. $625

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  3. $650

13 vote(s)
    11.0%
  4. $675

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. $700

27 vote(s)
    22.9%
  6. Above $700

20 vote(s)
    16.9%
  7. $550

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Below $550

17 vote(s)
    14.4%
  9. Asking Price - $800

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Outshined91

Outshined91

Aug 23, 2019
    Connecticut
    Just curious as to what you guys would think is a respectful, yet good offer for a custom Warmoth bass priced at $800 on Reverb. Want to know if I can get the seller down to a price I can afford.

Sorry for the disorderly poll options. Added them in the wrong order and was too lazy to delete and retype :meh:

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. It really depends... how bad do you want it?

Also, we’re gonna need pics and more details on the BIQ.

(Bass In Question)

Outshined91 and matti777 like this.
  3. Outshined91

Outshined91

Aug 23, 2019
    Connecticut
  4. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I think he has it fairly priced, but if all I had was $600, I would just make the offer. The one time I low balled someone, he said it was insulting and came back with a counteroffer of the original price. I declined and moved on with my life. Then he haggled with me for like a month unsolicited. He came down to my price, but I found it somewhere else for the correct price first.

5. Do your best with what you have today. If you don’t snag this one, another will come along.

Are you trying to upgrade your fretless 5 or get started on one?

Coolhandjjl and Outshined91 like this.
  6. jerry likes this.
  7. Outshined91

Outshined91

Aug 23, 2019
    Connecticut
    Get started on one - I do know I prefer fretless over fretted as I have tried them out.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  8. Well, why not make an offer and a heartfelt note to the seller? If You can’t afford the asking price, what have you got to lose?

If that falls thru, why not buy a fretless 5 you can afford? Ibanez or the like. Get up and running while you save up for your dream bass.

JRA likes this.
  9. Anemic_SluG

Anemic_SluG Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Washington
    So make your offer, I have always been honest with the seller. Like hey all I have to spend on this bass is $650. Or just drop an offer. I offered $80 in a $100 item and seller came back at $95. I came back and $90 and he declined and I moved on.
    At the end of the day the bass is only worth what you are willing to pay. It’s basic business. Good luck with your purchase.

Mike Whitfield, eJake and sludgetail like this.
  10. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    It’s your money. You have to decide on your willingness to pay.

11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    I'd offer what I could, and risk losing the item. If I don't get it, there'll be another, and, until then, I'd be saving. ;)

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  12. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    That is a real nice looking bass AND it's fretless. I would offer $600 and go from there. I like the personal and note something along the lines that you really want the bass but all you have is $600 and you would give it a good home, etc. Good luck!

allenhumble and EatS1stBassist like this.
  13. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Sometime in the future ? So you don't even have $600 to offer right now or am I misunderstanding ?

It's a pretty bass but it won't be an easy sell. That being said, the seller doesn't accept offers so make sure that if you do write them a nice note with an offer nevertheless you have the funds readily available.

14. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Any low ball offer should have a note attached. Something like a complement of the bass and explaining that you can only afford the amount you offer and would he consider it. I find communication helps get the desired reaction rather than making a low offer with no explanation.

15. Edarnott

Edarnott

Oct 25, 2018
    Dont make an offer if you cant back it up.

16. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    That's tough. Not everyone values parts basses the same. I spent about $750 on my parts J, but I doubt anyone would pay more than $500.

Picton, 2tonic, singlemalt and 2 others like this.
  17. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Outshined91 :)

Ask uncle Vito to haggle for you!

offer - Copie (2).

greetings

Wise(b)ass

18. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Even as I seller, I won't be offended with a low ball offer. If I don't want to accept the offer, I won't. If it's close to where I wanted to be, I'll counter and see where we can land.

Good Luck!

EDIT: I voted $550 as I agree with @twinjet that warmoth basses don't seem to carry their value past the person assembling them.

19. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    Price the parts at Warmoth. Consider the cost of finish, assembly and case as well. These are typically good players. Building a Warmoth bass from scratch is a money losing proposition but you get what you want, resell value is usually not a consideration in this case. The original builder takes the hit. The third sell can be break even.

20. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I’d start at $600. You can always offer more if he doesn’t accept.