1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus B 17, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Marcus B 17

Marcus B 17

Mar 5, 2013
    I got this bass from my cousin who found it in the trash. It claims to be made in Japan and the only "branding" is Ltd IV. Any input on what this thing can be would be greatly appreciated. I did do a Google search and found it may be a Fender.
    Bass.

Bass logo.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Not a Fender, positively. The headstock is wrong, and of course it has no Fender decal.

Maybe an ESP? Or maybe a Chinese generic, sold in Japan?

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Yeah, looks like an ESP. Definitely NOT a Fender.

4. That headstock is similar to ESP but *off* enough that Im betting *no-name knockoff/loose semi-copy*

5. Marcus B 17

Marcus B 17

Mar 5, 2013
    I didn't think I'd be lucky enough to get a fender. It also doesn't seem that Fender would not put they're name on something.
    Thanks for input.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't sell it short yet. You got it for free. Should make a decent P bass. ESP/Ltd. have been around a while, and as far as imported basses go, they were always pretty good. Give it a good setup and I'll bet it's not bad at all.

7. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If this is what people are finding in the trash these days then I need to get a better grade of trash 'round here!

Whatever it is, it's definitely trying to emulate the looks of a Fender Aerodyne, what with the color, binding and pickguard-less body.