1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is up with Riffstation / Fender???

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Booty Shaman, May 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. For the past year, one of my favorite and fun practice tools has been playing along to songs on Riffstation. For those of you who are unfamiliar, Riffstation is a program that analyses music and breaks down the key / chord changes - I could type in any artist / song on youtube and it would come up on Riffstation. It was a great way to learn songs - my favorite songs, play along, improvise. Since it was acquired by Fender, the sign in became almost impossible. None of the windows that came up with a google search had a login. I found it very frustrating but persevered. Today I got an email saying that Riffstation would no longer be available. Fender took it down. I am bummed. They say they are working on bringing it back...
    Anyone here on Talkbass also use Riffstation?

2. DuckSoup

DuckSoup

Dec 20, 2017
    Colorado
    I've never heard of Riffstation, but man I had to download it. I never knew such a tool existed. There are a few songs that my ear just can't quite figure out chord is playing. I just downloaded it and fired it up. Nothing that I could see regarding a sign-in though?

(Edit: This tool is freaking awesome!)

Booty Shaman likes this.
  3. They used to have an online streaming service where you could search for any song if was available on Youtube and it would analyze the chord changes for you. I have the software version, and it is fantastic but you are limited to uploading only music from your own library.

4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Fender just probably doesn't want to expose itself to copyright infringement lawsuits from Google.

I suppose it' s just an extra step then.
    You can still search for any song on you tube,
    Run it through any number of You Tube to mp3 converter web sites,
    and add the mp3 to your library

Or get one fo the many apps for converting YT to MP3
    I have used 4KYouTube to Mp3 with good results

Booty Shaman likes this.
  5. Thanks mambo4. I will try that.

6. mobdirt

mobdirt

Jun 14, 2017
    v cool app

7. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    the user interface looks a little different and only songs uploaded by a third party on YouTube works on it but chordify.net is a similar site.

mobdirt likes this.
  8. Thank you for turning me on to Chordify - it is essentially the same thing as Riffstation was and I can download from Youtube - which I like!