Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is wrong with this picture???

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bassic83, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    OK, so last nite my regular band played for my girlfriend's employer's 35th wedding anniversary. We did it as a freebie, because these people are really great, and always treat us like family. We play their restaurant's New Year's Eve gig every year, for good money, and we don't have to dress up, we go in shorts or jeans & T-shirts, etc. It was a last-minute surprise paty...

One of the guys we have been using recently is a fairly decent keyboard player. We also used my singer's husband on drums, whom we fired late last year. His time has improved, which is a good thing...so it's a last-minute throw-together version of the regular band.

Anyway, on to the story at hand...it's an easy gig, no structure, lots of break time while they make us eat (mange, mange, you looka too skinny there...) and do a slide show of John & Ellen, whose anniversary it is. They're Italian, and a big family, with lots of friends who are also "family", like me and my girl...she's another daughter to them. I'm like another son-in-law, albeit a much-liked one...

The keyboard player is the only one getting paid, because we really needed him to play at the last minute. We usually get at least $100/man a nite, but we weren't getting paid at all, it was out of the goodness of our hearts, but the keyboard player, who we'll call Jack Asse, whines and puts up a fuss about needing gas money...so our singer agrees to pay him $50. She doesn't have the money to give, but that's another story for another time. My girlfriend, being the overly generous soul that she is, donates part of her tips for the day to cover Jack Asse's $50, and gives it to our singer. We start at about 8:00, when the guests of honor show up thinking they're going to a Texas Hold 'Em poker party. They have no clue, and are completely surprised and get very emotional...we play a set, they make us take a break to eat, we do, then we get back and do a few songs. They want to do the slide show, we take another long break and get some drinks. There's about 50-60 people there. After about 45 minutes, we get back to playing a few, the happy anniversary couple dance, then say their goodbyes, and the party starts to break up slowly. We start packing up. The keyboard player, who has been conspicuously absent from the room, has left his girlfriend in the party, where she was talking to my girlfriend and a couple other girls. We all wander out the back door, loading up, and do the usual standing around talking thing. It's me and my singer, her husband, the Italian chef, and the keyboard player's girlfriend is standing just outside the door. Suddenly, my drummer says "watch you back, watch your back" and I step a little to the left, figuring someone is moving a catering cart or something. From behind me on the right, I see a shadow as someone bolts past me. It's Jack Asse, and he grabs his girlfriend by the sweater and the hair, spins her around, blindsiding her, slams her face-first into the door jamb, she spills her red wine all over herself and the linoleum floor. He jerks her inside and we see her disappear behind the edge of the door, then she's flying, then she's down on the floor, scrambling to get to her feet, covered in blood-looking red wine, slipping in the wine puddle. He keeps going into the hall and Grampa, who is 77, tackles him and starts wailing on him...this entire exchange lasts all of about 3-4 seconds. Then as quick as he attacked, he was gone, taking his girlfriend's truck and leaving her behind, crying.:mad:

She wasn't hurt, he got thumped pretty good by a 77-yr-old man, and he has to be called on his cell several times to get him to come back and pick up his girlfriend and take her home. He came back 45 minutes later, and demanded his pay from the singer. She looked at him like he was crazy, and told him to get lost...But this has jeopardized our ongoing NYE gig, and my girlfriend's job, as well as damaged our reputation as a band. I also play in another band with the guy, different singer. I'm quitting that band today. I want nothing to do with someone like this. I also told my singer to find someone else, as I will never play or talk to this guy again. Guys that hit women are completely useless in my world. My girlfriend has asked my singer for her $50 back, she's not putting up with him either. She won't pay him, nor would I. So now, due to someone else, I will go from 2 bands to no bands. If my singer gets another keyboard player or guitarist that can play, I will consider playing with her. But the other band is his band, and I'm out.:spit: :mad:

2. I'd say you nicknamed him very accurately.

Boys like that need to get wailed on by 77 year old MEN.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Jackass has issues. Hopefully you have found another band by now.

I saw a guy punch his wife because she was talking to me (at a gig). Heck, I was no threat, I was dating her sister. The justice or beauty (if their is any) of it was the idiot punched her just as the cops were coming in the door. Then he manages to lay out one of the cops for a couple of seconds. The remainder of the arrest was not realy easy on the idiot.

Best of Luck,
    Wes

5. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    What a sorry excuse for a male of our species!!! I'm glad Grandpa gave him a taste of his own medicine. I hope he did not totally ruin your chances at another NYE gig with that family. Have you spoken to any of them since then?

Sad thing is...He is very likely an abuser. Someone who will treat someone they purport to love like that in public is probably doing much worse in private. His girl needs to get away from him as quickly as possible.

Any band that continues playing with someone like this is asking for problems. I know he has hurt your reputation. I'm hoping that this incident will hurt *his* reputation even more.

People will see that you do not condone his behavior, and that will help your reputation. Get out and go to some jams, and find new people to play with. You will get to continue playing, while his reputation will spread, and people will not want to play with him, or book his band.

What a sorry sack of...!!! You've named him aptly.

Cherie

6. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    What a Story...The guy is NUTS and Evil! Wise move staying away from him for your own sanity and reputation. Chances are, this is not the first time he has done this to a woman which is sad. If you have an opportunity to audition with another band, I would not add this jerk to your "I played with so and so" list if asked. He may already have a reputation or maybe even a criminal record.

I hope the girl is ok.

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    From what I gather, this is not the first time it has happened. He is apparently barred from one of the clubs around here because he saw his girlfriend dancing with some guy while he was playing, left his post, and threw her across a couple tables into a couch in the club...the cop working security threw him out. He didn't see it happen, only the aftermath. I only wish I'd have known about his antics before we had played with him. The NYE gig for next year is safe, according to my girlfriend. They won't blame the rest of us for his actions. He's going to New York this Sunday, his girl is taking him to the airport, then is going to throw all his stuff out on the front lawn and change the locks. She's also apparently going to seek a restraining order. She's had enough. I've had enough. I told my singer to find another keyboard player or guitar player within the next 2-3 weeks, or I will be retiring from music for a while. I may do that anyway. If I decide to go that route, you might see some good deals in the classifieds forum!

8. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    What a douche. It's unbelievable how there are some a-holes in the world. Good decision in ditching this guy's band. You don't want to be associated with a guy like that, no matter how good he may be.

Hats off to Grandpa tho!

9. Hey man,
    Just because there are some prats out there, doesn't mean you should stop playing!
    Why would you give up something you love because some idiot does that? That's just giving him power over you.

Peace, and good luck.

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I see something wrong with this picture: this guy was beating on a woman and the ONLY person to step in is a 77 year old man? Why weren't the police called? Why didn't you hold this guy until they arrived? Why didn't you and your friends step in and restrain this guy? Why, for the love of pete, did you let this woman leave with a man who just beat her?

That story angers me on many levels.

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    It happened in the blink of an eye, for one- myself and my bandmates were stunned and shocked. It was over in 3-4 seconds. He took off through another door, by the time the drummer and I reacted, he was already gone. The girl had plenty of help getting up, and "female emotional support" was in no shortage. She was also offered places to stay until such time as she could get back up there. I was already gone when he showed back up, or he would have seen just how a size 13 fit in his rectum. She wanted him to come get her- go figure! The girl is OK now, she took him to the airport Sunday, he's going to NY for a week or two...threw his stuff out on the driveway (it's going to rain today...:D ) and has obtained a restraining order against him. She owns the house, he was living with her. We now think he's smoking crack, which might have something to do with his behavior.

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    just to play devil's advocate - what does paying him have to do with him hitting his girl? i'd have given him his $50. would feel like a cleaner separation for me. like, get out of my life and don't even think of any connection with me whatsoever. i honestly don't think the 2 are related.

I was in a band for a couple of weeks once with a guy who was verbally abusive with his live-in girlfriend. one day he decided to talk to me the same way. I didn't say a word and it was the last time he saw me.

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

A picture is worth a thousand words. That text looks to be near 1000 words.

14. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    This guy doesn't deserve to get pounced on by a 77 year old man he deserves to get pounced on by 77 young men at one time.:mad:

15. that messed up.... i dont get why he went after her...

16. MazeMouse

MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    I'm 100% male. But I perfected that "black female 'what did you just say?' look" to the ultimate level just to handle those kind of people (only to show them how 5 across the face feels like afterwards... and I'm not talking about fingers but I do happen to play a 5string-bass *hint*)

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Jack Asse should have gotten his asse jacked! :mad:

18. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    No accounting for other people. I'd call this case and point.

Crackhead. :rollno:

19. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Seemed like it was long enough for a 77 YEAR OLD MAN to react.

I guarantee she's back with him before the end of February.

20. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    sorry to hear about that man, hope things work out again..

you were definitely right to get away from that guy though, there are few things lower than a man who raises his fist to a woman..no doubt.