1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Is Your Favorite Eight-String? Or Your Least Favorite? Why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EBassR, Jul 30, 2020.

1. EBassR

EBassR

Nov 23, 2014
    California
    I'm trying to learn more about eight-strings—as in four courses of two strings. What are your favorites? Least favorites? Why? Thanks!

2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    My favorite? There's a picture of it in Paul Boyer's Rickenbacker bass book. A one-of-a-kind left handed Fireglo 4005/8. Why is it my favorite? Because I will never, ever be able to own it. It was actually for sale several years ago; IIRC, the starting bid price was $18,000; god knows what it eventually sold for... Which is just as well; I've yet to hold an 8 string bass that I could actually play. The strings are always too close together for my stumpy, thick fingers. But... man, is that thing gorgeous...:cool:

EBassR likes this.
  3. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    The only ones I've ever paid attention to are the, Hagstrom hb 8and Hamer 12 string
    R2GQr2Lwdh3VN9nzJ4zV2Y.jpg
    t6-WxTOQZVrs6IvjfVGsN-ogtemujIzNFeP7fubZfWZzCuVvpns9_CkNQvFx1f9pc7mdeLi9xRb1EixGkudK47Lkc7jC55BQ.jpg

EBassR and bobba66 like this.
  4. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    I had a Kramer alum neck 8 string for a while. Nice bass, but heavy.

EBassR likes this.
  5. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I had a beautiful Ibanez Artist 8 that I should never have let go. I did get a Hagstrom 8, but I could not get it to intonate and I ended up selling it for substantially less than I paid for it.

EBassR likes this.
  6. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Might have better results asking your question here?
    the official 8-String (octave courses) bass club

EBassR likes this.
  7. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I played an Alembic series II 8 string back in the day, tough to beat.

EBassR likes this.
  8. Cut the middle

Cut the middle

Apr 17, 2020
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021