What is Your Favorite P+J Pickup Set?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FugaziBomb, Mar 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    Also, what bass are the pick-ups in and what about the set do you like?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Geezers. I also like DiMarzio Model PJs for certain types of music, and EMG active PJs, but Geezers have been tops for me ever since I got them. Thing is, though , there are a lot of excellent pickups out there, and it's a very personal decision and not one size fits all, so you're best to say what you're looking for tonally, and then people can suggest stuff more targeted to your wants.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  3. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I already rolled a set up GZRs in this bass (1991 SR800) and they didn't vibe with it. They are currently in my buddy's MIA Fender PJ and they sound great. I'm looking at a set of EMG X's, but I always like to see what TBers are using.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I don’t care for the way passive PJ sets interact. However, I had a set of (regular) EMGs that I really liked, and quite a few years ago, I had a set of Seymour Duncan Lightenin’ Rods that I liked as well.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Alembic. They were in a '87 Persuader.

6. I love pjs but don’t usually care for the output balance between passive sets. My go to has been EMG (2 Original and 1 Alnico X set) but my most recent set is the Wildes in a Warmoth Unlined Fretless build and they sound fantastic with GHS Tapewounds.

The basses in my avatar are the EMG equipped. The black one has a Fender ‘62 p pickup and Duncan vintage jazz in the bridge. Works well but prefer the passive Wilde’s honestly.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

8. wardak

wardak

Dec 3, 2001
    Deutschland
    I have a set of Geezers in an older 80’s MIJ Fender and a set of PJAX in a 2000’s MIM Fender. Love to play them both, I use them roughly equally.

I think everything Jimmy’s described about the Geezers is accurate, they are awesome. I’m not sure why so many sets of them have shown up used for sale, they are a well-balanced do it all pickup.

The PJAX are great in their own way—I get a sort of “rich, clean, balanced” sound out of them with an older EMG EQ, very even, maybe I’d point out good natural fundamental with substantial mids (growls easily with just a little bit of drive), pretty clean bottom end, clear on top (but not sparkly or glassy), definitely PJ’s. As a set, I’d tell you that they are well matched, and the balance knob seems to adjust on a smooth continuum between phat P through a good 50/50 PJ blend (which I like, a little bit of clean scoop with some definition from the bridge) and on to “more definition” with more bridge in there—for me, all-bridge is probably not a go to setting, so I can’t help with that part.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    JimmyM likes this.
  9. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Between EMG P/J and Wilde P46/J45, all is good.

10. I've got a set of EMG PJA's in my Ibanez SR800A...very happy with them...standard EMG PJ in my SR880...

Leslie

11. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    If I were to redo my EMG, it would be PA/JA.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022