1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What key are these two songs in?

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Da Bassics, Sep 12, 2019 at 4:08 AM.

1. Da Bassics

Da Bassics

Nov 27, 2012
    As far as the bassline goes? And what notes are played

And this has been troubling me and many musicians globally for years. What key is the bassline is?

Thank you all

2. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Your first song sounds like it's in the key of E minor to me, and basically two chords, E minor and C. I'm listening on my old laptop - not much bass in these speakers - and I'm still on my first cup of coffee, but that's what I hear. The notes are of an E natural minor scale, so E - F# - G - A - B - C - D - E.

Transcribing recordings is a time-honored tradition - sounds like it's time for you to try. Most version of the YouTube player let you slow the performance down to 3/4, 1/2, or 1/4 speed, so that can help you figure out what notes are being played. Figure out how to play along with a passage, then write it down, then move on to the next part of the music.

-S-

lurk likes this.
  3. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Try not to think of what "key....the bassline is...." in, but hear what chord feels like the Tonic/Home key.
    I HEAR this tune in mostly Cminor, as the G7+5 conveys a strong gravitational pull of V7 - i7 (in Cminor).
    Below are the chords of the (verse?) starting at 0:32 of the track. (The next section - chorus?- at 0:54 is similar, with a momentary(?) Tonicization of Dbmajor, but still in Cminor to my ears.)
    Another possible harmonic analysis might advocate for the verse in Bbminor and the chorus in Dbmajor, but I wouldn't buy that....
    I don't think this song is in ONE Key. That mode(!) of thinking and hearing is not useful in the 21st century, and hasn't been for some time.
    IMFO, of course.
    See below.
    Thanks.
    IMG_3981.JPG

4. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    It's all in C minor.
    The identicalness of Bb minor and Db major.
    Bb minor
    Bbminor.PNG

Db major

Dbmajor.PNG

The bass line mostly octaves Root- 8th and 3rd's.

5. C Locrian is identical to Bb natural minor and DB major and these are the notes you have shown.

Whousedtoplay likes this.