1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what kind of ampeg cab is this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leestefanski, Jan 21, 2012.

1. I acquired these matching Ampeg cabs from a trade and im trying find out what I actually own and if they're worth anything. Im guessing it started as a 2x15 cab someone chopped in half, re wrapped it and put custom screen on. If they are a custom job, Im thinking about selling the speakers, Ampeg badge and putting in high wattage 15's. But if this really is original id like to possibly sell them as is. Pretty cool looking tho.

This is as much as I know:
    1967 Golden Glow Series,one year run. Speakers are JBL, Los Angeles,CA - D140F,Signature speaker JBL 8 ohm. One speaker needs to be re-coned but the other works great. Screen is a copper color instead of the silver color ampeg is known for. The input is on the top of the cab.
    ForumRunner_20120121_161924.

ForumRunner_20120121_161947.

ForumRunner_20120121_161956.

ForumRunner_20120121_162006.

ForumRunner_20120121_162039.

2. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    It's no good at all... You should give it to me to dispose of it.. :D

I have no clue, but it looks awesome!

3. sounds fine with me, shipping will be very spendy tho ;)

4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Whats a JBL D140F?

Maybe they sound ok, I will give you 30 bucks for them.:D

5. $31.00!!!!

6. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Ampeg V6 2x15 would be my guess

7. Bump

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The V6B was forward firing (V4B was folded horn), had a slot port in the center, and was deep rather than wide (like the B25) so it almost fits the bill but it was also a tilt back cab, though it may have been introduced as a flat back. As far as the JBL speakers, I think by the time the V6 cab was in production ampeg was using altec as the factory upgrade, and the catalog I have doesn't offer upgrades on this cab so I doubt they are original. I almost wonder if they were either modified B15S cab or cut from one of the combo amps. Or they could not even be ampeg at all. Always a possibility as well.

9. Im thinking about putting eminence kappas in the cabs or else ill end up ruining the jbl's. You guys think the cabinets would hold up well? I don't care about being "perfect" dimensions, just not sure about the back panel style cab sounding good at higher wattage.